Chapter 1: The New Girl (Leo's Point of View)

I was sitting by the lake, missing Calypso to death, when the new girl burst through the border to camp, her clothes tattered and dirty. I walked to meet her. The girl's satyr hurtled in behind her. She looked a lot like me, actually. Hispanic looking, elfish, short, skinny. She had it all. But this girl was beautiful. I immediately scolded myself for thinking that, especially when Calypso was still waiting for me back on Ogygia.

        "Um excuse me?" the girl said impatiently. I must have zoned out. "I come running in this place with a goat man--"

        "Satyr!" her satyr called out.

        "Whatever. I come running in this place and you come and stand in front of me, staring over my shoulder at something in the distance. Way to make a first impression." Tell me about it, I think. I was the one who actually did it. "Anyway," the girl said again. "The name's Brianna. And you?" For some reason, I couldn't stop myself.

        "Me llamo Leo. Enacantado!" My face immediately reddened from my weird spontanious spanish outburst. But Brianna's face brightened.

        "Usted habla Espano?" she asked. It meant "you speak spanish?" I nodded my head and scratched the back of my neck sheepishly.

        "Well," I said, breaking the awkward silence. "I guess I better take you to the Big House!" We walked over together somewhat awkwardly. Brianna knocked on the door. Chiron, the recreation director of camp came to meet her. She waved to me as Chiron lead her inside, thanking me for bring her.