6: Mother Knows Best [Post-Couple]

A/N: This is slightly a lengthier story (?) and I transitioned from calling "Bakugo" to "Kacchan" and "Katsuki" to hopefully avoid confusion. Enjoy :) #iwrotethisinsteadofstudyingformyexamtmr

Bakugo stopped before his hand pressed the doorbell. "You sure about this?" He didn't turn towards Midoriya but from his peripheral vision, he could see his breath vapour mix into the cold air as he nodded and mouthed yes.

A bell rang out, shortly followed by light footsteps. There was a click of the door unlocking, and then the two were met by a familiar face.

"Oh, what a surprise!" The mid-40-year-old male waved his hand and opened the door wider to let them inside. "Come in, boys."

Midoriya bowed his head to him then cautiously followed Kacchan inside. It has been a long time since he was last in the Bakugo household; the nostalgic layout of the couch, table, and bookshelf were all too sentimental. He reminisced about the innocent, good old days when he and Kacchan would race to the house and play video games 'til dinnertime.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a voice from down the hall. "Masaru? Is that Katsuki?"

"Yes. Izuku is here as well," Masaru called back to his wife.

"Oho?~" Mitsuki poked her head out, and when her eyes met Midoriya's, they brightened along with her smile. "Izuku! It's been way too long!" She casually strode over. "And you!"—she pulled on Kacchan's ear—"Speak properly and don't be making plans at the last minute!"

Kacchan slapped her hand away and glared. "I told you yesterday!"

"You only asked me if we were gonna be home!" she retaliated.

They bickered for a while even as Masaru guided them towards the couch and helped the two boys with their winter coats. They continued to argue even with Midoriya's and Masaru's (futile) attempts at calming them down.

Mitsuki suddenly shot up, her fist slamming down on her open palm. "Right! Since Izuku's here. You both will be perfect for the job!"

"Job?" Midoriya nervously repeated.

"Yes, yes..." Mitsuki trailed off as she hurried down the hall. She soon came back with a bunch of clothes in a box. She held out a pair of matching sweaters and grinned quite menacingly, "Wouldn't you boys like to be my models?"

——————————

A few hours later and the boys were still posing for Mitsuki. Katsuki really just wanted to burst out his confession and get it over with. However, the thing keeping him sane was the visible glee across Midoriya's face every time they slipped into a new matching set of garments.

Mitsuki was adjusting the camera settings and Katsuki took that as an opportunity. "Hey, Mom," he started.

The unexpected formality took them all by surprise; Midoriya gaped at him, Mitsuki looked baffled, and Masaru froze, dropping the apple slice he was eating onto the couch.

"Deku and I didn't just come here today to visit," he continued. "We didn't move in together just because we were going to start an agency."

Midoriya held his breath. They talked about this already. Today was the day they finally told their parents. Well, Kacchan's parents first, actually.

Katsuki knitted his brows together and looked down at his slippers. "What I mean to s-say is that. I... W-We... together and..."

Kacchan never stuttered.

Midoriya opened his mouth to continue for him but stopped when Mitsuki reached her hands up and ruffled both of their hair.

Her face was decorated with a soft smile and delicate eyes.

"No need to say anymore. I know."

"But how— I didn't even tell you that I was—"

Mitsuki interrupted with a loud clear of her throat. She fished out her phone from her back pocket and showed them a photo.

It was the first photo they took from the shoot—Midoriya was wearing a Rudolph onesie while piggybacking Kacchan in a Santa Claus suit. Mitsuki's handwriting was on the bottom right of the photo which scrawled 'my boy and my future son-in-law'.

As if that wasn't enough to reassure them, she grinned and whispered, "Mother knows best."

Word Count: 654
Published on Monday, May 11, 2020