Grow A Pair

"You didn't get his fucking number?!" Georgia nearly dropped the sprite can in her hand. "I mean I get that you probably had other things on your mind but if I ever would have let a guy like that walk away without at least a lipstick mark on his neck my mother would've disowned me."

I groaned and flopped down on the couch. Georgia's cousin, Benny, let us stay at his place while he was away on a work trip in Boston or something. The house had two floors, and a swimming pool in the backyard. AND a hot tub! I think the house was built in the 50's or 60's, and Benny decorated it with old antiques that still smelled like cigarettes.

 Alex sat on the kitchen counter with his legs crossed.

"Lilly!" Georgie snapped her fingers at me.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow, I'm so sleepy."

"No we can not because I won't be able to sleep if I don't get closure."

I rolled my eyes. "Ok ok. No, I didn't get his number. Yes, I wish I did."

"But what if you never see him again?" Alex piped up.

"I probably won't." Saying that actually made me kinda disappointed. "But come on, he didn't ask for my number either. He probably has a girlfriend anyway."

Georgie and Alex looked at each other and sighed. Alex said, "Lil, you've gotta have some confidence here. He basically rescued you, like a friggin knight in shining armour."

"Or shining lip piercings."

He blinked at me.  

"Look I get what you mean, but let's be real here. It wouldn't work, it never works that way. I would love to live in one of those witty and sappy rom coms but that's not how real life is."

      "God you're gonna give me second hand depression." Georgie grumbled.

"That's not a thing."

"Well it is now."

Alex shifted, looking somewhat uncomfortable.

"What is it Alex?" I asked.

"It's...it's just that you were kind of assaulted like 30 minutes ago. Are you okay?"

I opened my mouth to say something but then shut it when I realized I didn't know what to say. He was right, that was pretty scary. Maybe it was because of the adrenaline from the concert, but I just feel numb. That might wear off by tomorrow. "I mean, it's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before."

"But that doesn't mean it hurts any less." Alex came over and sat next to me, putting a hand on my arm. "Are you really alright?"

I looked at him, and then at Georgie. Nodding, I answered, "Yea I'm totally fine." I smiled at my friends, trying to reassure them. Or myself.

      Georgia crossed her arms, and looked as if she wanted to say something. But she just shook her head, and sat down by my feet. "Ok baby, if you say you're okay I'll believe you. But remember that Alex and I will always be here for you, whenever you need to talk. Ok?"

Alex let out a breathy laugh. "You almost sounded like an adult there G."

She pulled him down from the couch and began to tickle him while she had him pinned under her knee.

I laughed, and pulled my legs up, not wanting Georgie to grab them too.

It's a weird feeling, when you can feel the love radiating off the people around you but still feel a little cracked, like a glass jar. Or a ceramic jar, whatever works. I can feel the adrenaline wearing off now. When Trevor had found Georgia and Alex, he walked us to the car and made sure we got out safe. I really wanted to say something to him, anything. But I felt scared that I'd say something stupid, or that I wouldn't say the right thing. Which I knew was crazy, considering the circumstances. I wanted to thank him again. I wanted him to protect me again, from anything. Maybe because I have some trust issues or maybe because it had been a while since I'd felt safe because of one person. Either way, Georgie was right. I should've gotten his number.