The 3rd Party

It's been a week since Matt and I are back together. This also means that it's our last week in this school.

Today is Monday. We're in our favorite spot in the canteen, in the far back corner, near the window. This is our favorite spot because (1), It's away from the crowd, so there's minimal noise and (2) it's overlooking the open field.

There's an ongoing match between our school and a team from another school. I can't really tell from here what school the other team is from. I don't really know a lot about the game, but since we had this topic last year on PE, I can tell that the opponents are pretty good and that they're winning.

"So you're into socceer boys now, huh?" Hannah teased and Angela laughed.

I turned to Matt and he smirked, "I guess I have to play soccer now."

"Ha ha, nice joke." And rolled my eyes on him and continued eating my lasagna. If there's one thing I would really miss about this school, it would be the canteen for sure. It's like having a feast everyday here, but not really good for the wallet, lol.

"So where did you appy for senior high, Matt?" asked Angela.

"St. Ezekiel University, of course." He winked at me. God, this guy. So needy.

I received a call 3 days earlier and learned that I was accepted in the same university. I didn't feel excited because I really am afraid of being in a new environment. Angela and Hannah are both going to the same university. Their both taking STEM and chose the best engineering university so that it would be easier for them to stay in the same university for college.

As for me, I am taking ABM because my mom wants me to take Accountancy in the future and St. Ezekiel University is the best in that field. As for Matt, he told me that doesn't really know what strand to take yet but he's sure that he wants to apply for varsity and that he wants to be in the same school with me.

Matt's phone rang. That's the third phone call since we started eating. He was hesitant to answer it the first and second time and now he's looking at the screen, confused whether to answer or not. I can't really see who's calling him though.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "You know what, I think it's urgent. Just go ahead and answer it."

"Uhm, I think I have to go. Yeah, I think I forgot about the urgent meeting with coach and the team today"

"Sure, go ahead." I grabbed his plate. Yes! More lasagna!

"I'll see you later after school." He kissed me on my forehead and jogged away.

"Get a room, will you?" Hannah crossed her arms. "Uggh, I think I just lost my appetite."

Angela laughed, "Hannah, don't be bitter and just date Clark." We all laughed.

Clark is our classmate and someone who's obsessed with Hannah. And by obsessed, I mean, insisting on paying for all meals in the canteen in advance (including the one she's eating right now), filling her locker with love leters, sticking love notes to her desk every morning and even giving her presents. He's really weird and nerdy, but he's a good guy. Rich as well, if that isn't obvious enough.

"Never in a million years! I would never date him! He's... creepy!" he rolled her eyes. Hannah made it clear to Clark that she isn't really into him, but Clark insisted that she should just let him do it because it makes him happy.

"But I still think you'd be a good match. After all bad girls need good guys." Angela teased and again, we all laughed at Hannah's disgusted face.

I wish this would last forever. Just me with the girls, hanging out. Angela, being the angel that she is, living up to her name, and Hannah the sassy one who's living her life breaking guys' hearts.

Graduation day is on Friday and after that, I wouldn't see these girls as often as I would like to.

And just the thought of it makes me sad.

•••

After lunch, we went back to the Coliseum for the rehearsals.

Angela and Hannah told me that during that one time I passed out in the dance hall, it was Matt who brought me to the clinic. How thoughtful of him. Even though we're not really on good terms that time, he still cared for me. However, for some reason, that didn't excite me anymore.

In today's rehearsals, we practiced the flow like when we would clap, when to sit, where to stand, how to receive the diploma and etc.

I was sitting on my spot when I saw Jamie marching on the stage. Jamie is Matt's bestfriend and also part of the basketball team. Wait, aren't they on an urgent meeting?

I looked over to the boys' side and saw Tim, John, Max and Kyle sitting on their places. They're also part of the basketball team. Matt, however, was not around. For some reason, I started to feel nervous.

"You okay? It's almost our turn." Genova asked, my seatmate. Her family name is Belleza and mine is Cohen. Genova comes before me, obviously so we are sitting next to each other.

"Yeah, I'm good." Unconsciously, my eyes wandered to the back side, hoping to see Kesha, but before I could do so, our adviser called me.

"Wren, can I have a minute?"

"Of course, Miss. Is there a problem?"

"Oh, no. I was just asking about your speech. I'm just checking in, making sure your doing good or that you need any help." Shit. I haven't thought about that.

"It's okay, Miss. I'm actually finalizing it." Lies.

"That's great then! Can't wait to hear it this Friday." She smiled and walked away.

I lowered my head, thinking. Besides the fact that I am the President of the Council, I am also the Editor-in-Chief of the Jounalist Guild so I know people will be expecting a lot from me. Probably the reason why I haven't started is because of these expectations from people. I want them to like my speech, and to inspire my batchmates at the same time, but how?

Ughh, I should have really just told my adviser the truth and asked for help, but I think it's too late now.

"Hey, it's our queue. We have to go!" Genova called. I hurriedly walked over to the side of the stage and waited for my name.

I looked over the backside and saw Kesha in her spot. I let out a sigh of relief. I was just overthinking. Maybe their meeting was cancelled or something. Why would I think they were together? God, I was worried for nothing.

But then, I followed her gaze and guess what? She was looking over at Matt, or should I say, they're both looking at each other, smiling.

SMILING?

Wait, since when did Matt come? And since when they've become that comfortable smiling at each other?

Before I could process what was happening, my name was called,

"Wren Estelle Cohen"

But I couldn't think of anything else except, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?