Chapter 1: La Perturbation

Have you ever watched a romantic movie where the male lead lived in this adventurous, lavish life? Like his life was painted with glitters and rainbows the moment he was born into this world, then went on to lead an extraordinary life all throughout until he finally met his match? Well, if you are expecting the same thing happening here, I'd have to burst your bubble. Because growing up watching those, I thought of the same thing happening to me. Only to find out that those don't exist in reality. Win Metawin, yes that's me, is living a boring and ordinary life and this... this is my story.

"Win?" someone called my attention.

I've been staring at my computer screen for far too long that I haven't noticed him approaching me. My head was going haywire with all the files I need to review before submitting them by the end of the week and I don't know when did I space out. I gave a smile at the older man who's standing on the left side of my desk, looking intently at my face.

"Yes, Manager Guy? Is there anything you need from me?" I asked.

He shook his head, "I asked you just now if you can send the files by Thursday evening?"

I frowned, "I thought I can work on it until the weekend?"

Again, he shook his head, "That's what I was told too, but they are asking for the files earlier to finalize the proposal by Friday. They are targeting to present it by Monday, during the monthly conference of the bosses."

I sighed. And there I thought that I could go early today because I needed to do some grocery shopping. You see, a young man like me can only go so long without supplies in my kitchen. I sighed again. I looked at Manager Guy once more before I nodded with a little disappointment showing on my face.

"I know this month's been a struggle for you, Win. But you are one of the few people I can trust on this. You know that, right?" he asked me.

I nodded again as I grabbed my empty mug from my desk. I got up, "I know, P'Guy. That is why I am grabbing more coffee. Guess I would have to stay late here tonight." I chuckled.

He smiled sympathetically at me. "Thanks, Nong Win." He said as he patted my shoulder before walking away.

So my plan to shop for groceries was scrapped out of my things-to-do for tonight. And for the nth time, I sighed.

~$~

I was busy typing on my computer, trying all my best to finish the presentation we need by Thursday. Stopping for a bit to stretch my back, I stood up and walked back and forth in front of my desk. I craned my neck as I suddenly felt the tension and stress building up. I hated working under pressure. That's the reason why I took my time with the files that the bosses were asking for, because I know I can still finish them within a week. But to tell me that I only have two more days to scroll through hundreds of information and to sort them out? God, I hate this life!