Chapter Eleven: Vala

The remaining soldiers who weren't panicking, helped Sern get out of the chaos. Klaven grabbed my hand, and Ivy's.

"Quick hold onto my shoulder," he said to dad.

When dad did what was instructed, Klaven pulled out the crystal, still holding onto my hand, and squeezed the crystal. Once again, all I saw was red. When that faded, we were back in the castle, underground. Once we knew it was safe, dad hugged Ivy and I. For the second time that day, we cried. When I opened my eyes, I saw Klaven standing alone, back turned to us.

I went over to him, put a hand on his shoulder. "Would you like to join our hug?" I offered.

Without speaking, he turned around and hugged me. I hugged back, and he started crying. He really needed that. Dad came over to us.

"You were very brave Klaven," Dad said to him. "Thank you for helping me escape, and keeping my girls safe."

"It was an honor, your highness," Klaven nodded.

"By the way, how's your ability coming along?" Dad wanted to know.

"I've gotten better at controlling it, and I discovered that I can inflict heat on things or people," Klaven responded.

"Wait, what now?" Ivy asked, probably as curious as I was.

"Oh yeah, I kinda can manipulate things like fire and lava and stuff," Klaven muttered.

"Your mother and I took Klaven in when he was young, because he was on his own," Dad began. "We soon realized that he had an ability to control heat, in the forms of fire, magma, body warmth, lava, sun rays, and possibly other things."

"Mhm, and now I can project heat into things," Klaven added, shyly.

"Oh, that's what you did to the control box earlier. You overheated it with your superpowers!" Ivy exclaimed.

"Please don't call it that word," Klaven covered his eyes with his hand.

"You must have been controlling those soldier's body warmth, making them too hot to focus. That was really smart Klaven," I told him, smiling.

"Thanks," He said real quietly, not meeting my eyes.

"Well then, why don't we find my wife? I'd like to see her reaction when she sees me," Dad said as he walked out of the main room, towards an elegant staircase.

I looked over to Klaven, as I motioned for him to come with us. We ran to catch up with Dad and Ivy.