Chapter 10

Akia POV

Ever since my dad got into that accident, he has been here for me more than he ever was before. I don't know if it was his close call with death or what, but he has made sure that I know how much he loves me. It's been great. He has kept his promise and he defends me no matter what. I've moved back in with them as well. My dad asked me if I would come back and I said yes.

I know y'all have all seen what's going on with all of our unarmed black men and women being murdered by cops and white supremacists. Me, Ant, Audrie, and Arielle all want to go to the protest here in ATL. Our dad is in support of them but he doesn't think we should be apart of them. We are currently trying to talk him into letting us go.

Ari: Dad, we are just going to protest. Not loot or burn down buildings.

Dad: No. Y'all are not going out there and that is my final answer.

Me: But why? We just want to show our support for the cause.

Dad: And y'all can do that without putting y'all selves in danger. You got Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat. All different platforms where you can show your support from this house.

I rolled my eyes. He don't never be wanting to let us go out and do nothing. And this is for a good cause.

Dad: You can roll your eyes all you want to but you better not take yo ass outta this house.

Me: Why tho?

Dad: I already said it was too dangerous and I'm not going to sit here and continue to explain my reasonings to y'all. Y'all ain't going out there and if I find out y'all still go after you've been told to stay in the house, imma kick all y'all ass. Understand?

We all nodded and then went back upstairs to Audrie's room. We closed her door and sat around her bed.

Arielle: So are we still going to go?

Me: I'm down if y'all are.

Ant: I'm down too.

Audrie: I guess we going to protest then.

Me: Okay so we going. But how are we going to get out?

Ant: We can just tell him we going to AJ house to chill with him for the night.

Audrie: That could work.

Me: Okay so the protest started like 30 minutes ago so we need to get ready to go.

We all made sure we had everything we needed and then we headed back downstairs.

Dad: Where y'all going?

Arielle: We're going to chill with AJ tonight if that's okay.

We looked at her. This is not the time to have this attitude with him Ari.

Dad: I don't know who the hell you think you talking to like that Ari but check yo attitude.

Ari: Sorry.

Dad: Y'all can go to AJs. Let me find out y'all went anywhere other than his place. We gone have a big problem.

Us: Yes sir.

We left out and headed in the direction of AJs. His car wasn't outside so we went towards downtown where the protests were.

Ari parked about a little less than a mile away and then we walked the rest of the way to the protest. We put our masks on and then grabbed signs from the lady handing them out.

We joined in on the March with everyone else.

"NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE! NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!"

"JUSTICE FOR GEORGE! JUSTICE FOR AHMAUD! JUST FOR BREONNA!!!"