Chapter 4: Finders Keepers

Put your arms all around it
Take it now that you've found it
It don't need to be no deeper
It's finders keepers

Put your arms all around itTake it now that you've found itIt don't need to be no deeperIt's finders keepers

August 10, 1979
The Red Room (Lounge)
Los Angeles, California
6:03 pm

I didn't go all out with my makeup that night. Just eyeliner and lipstick. I wore my natural hair out. I straightened it with a hot comb. I wore a knitted top I made. I wore black high-waisted jeans. My favorite hoop earrings and a way too big silk orange buttoned-down that I borrowed from my father and never returned. I wanted to be cute but natural. Even though I didn't want to be here. My friend needed my help and I didn't want to let him down. He gave me a place to stay. I moved to California with a duffle bag full of clothes, 3.78 in my pocket, and no plan. I wanted to go after my dreams of being a writer, Of fashion, of natural beauty, the empowerment of being a black woman. I was determined for the world to know Alana Jones. 

I gave it all up for you and you broke me.

I make my way to the back where all the other employees were. No, I wasn't an employee but, I was helping out. I don't even know what this event is about. I don't even know what I am doing. But, I am trusting my friend. Not because he helped me out. Because we've known each other since we were 10. His family is from Foxburg. 

"Hey, Lana," Ashton says as I walk up to him. "Thank you so much for helping us out."

"Sure thing," I say with a nod. 

Ashton Meyers

Ashton Meyers

I always thought he was cute but, we've been friends for so long. I just never saw him that way. But, he's a really good friend. 

"So who is this superstar this party is for?" I ask curiously as I place my bag with his stuff. 

"Pops didn't tell me." He says with a shrug as I hang my button-down next to his jacket. "Just that its an album release party. He said the artist is a shy person so approach him with caution."