Chapter 8 - Everyone Loves Gabriel

Ashley and I walk back toward the music hall, holding hands again.

"I wonder what's on this afternoon?" I ask her.

"Singing first thing after lunch and then private instruction for the last session of the day."

I look at her in shock. "Wait, how do you know that?"

"I looked at the schedule." She shrugs at me.

"There's a schedule?"

Ashley laughs. "Um, yeah, it was in the welcome pack they gave us when we were registering."

That thing. I haven't even looked at it. I used the map to find my cabin and that was about it. I thought that I'd be able to figure everything else out as I went.

"Yeah, well I was a little bit distracted when I was registering," I smirk at her and she blushes.

"Obviously, seeing Gabriel there must have put you off," Ashley tells me with a cheeky grin.

I roll my eyes. "Why would you ruin a perfectly good lunch break by reminding me that Gabriel Knight exists, Ash?"

We reach the music hall and see the group that we'd been sitting at during lunch a little way ahead of us. Gabriel is still with them.

"Speak of the devil," I say and work hard not to roll my eyes again. "I can't believe that I'm in the same cabin as him and he's in my group for the stupid concert."

"He's really good, though. At least your performance will probably be amazing. I think the Mozarts might be the best musicians here. Tiffany did Flight of The Bumblebees in our first class and I couldn't believe it."

"Shit, really?" My mouth drops open in shock.

I mean, there are harder piano pieces but it's definitely not easy, either.

"Yeah, she was the first person in the piano group to become a Mozart. I'm really good at singing, I wish they'd judged me on that instead of my piano, then I could be a Mozart with you." She gives me a wry grin.

Stupid camp is stupid. She should be a Mozart with me. I sigh.

"That would've been so good. I can't wait to hear you sing, Ash. I bet you're awesome."

We reach the others as I say this and she smiles at me.

"Hey guys, have a good lunch?" Harrison asks me with a smirk on his face as he falls in to step with Ashley and me.

"Sure did," I say, then continue with a laugh, "did you hear back from Heather about the song?"

He blushes. "Yeah, I did. She thinks it's pretty cool." He gives me a sidelong glance, then says quietly, "She thinks that Gabriel should be in our band if we work well together."

"No," I hiss at him, "I've said that, already. I don't want to work with Perfect Gabriel. I don't want to bunk with Perfect Gabriel. I'll do that during camp because I have to but I can't think of anything worse than being in a band with him when we go home."

Harrison holds his hands up in defeat. "I hear you. I know your thoughts but I think you should reconsider. He's really good."

"Really good musicians are easy to find." I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, so how come you aren't in a band already, then?" Harrison raises an eyebrow at me.

Ugh. I mean, he's not wrong. It's harder than you would think to find good bandmates. I kept getting rejected when I applied to this place and the kids at school who are into music aren't brilliant. I've tried to find bandmates there, but no one's really amazing.