Chapter 20 - Meet the Parents

We're sitting on the lawn by the lake as a group after breakfast. I look up to see a man and woman walking toward us; both have brown hair and eyes. They're wearing fancy clothes, and I wonder who they are.

With them is a girl about my age with brunette hair. She's beautiful. They're smiling at our group as they begin to directly approach us, and I wonder again whose family they are. I get my answer when Hayden notices them and yanks his hand away from Samantha's as soon as he does.

"Hola mijo," the woman says with a smile on her face.

Hayden stands up and walks over to them, giving them each a hug. "Hey, Mom and Dad. Hey, Ness. These are my friends."

As he's introducing us, I see my parents walking down the path toward us, and I understand how Hayden felt when he saw his family. I snatch my hand away from Ashley's as though I've been burned and she snickers.

My parents reach our group, and I give my mom a quick hug. "Hey, Mom. Hey, Dad. These are my friends." I begin to introduce each of them, and then I reach Ashley in the circle. Our eyes catch, and I don't know exactly what to say, so I tell them, "—my friend Ashley Williams—" before moving on as I see her face drop a little and can't help but cringe.

I've just about finished the rest of the introductions when I see Harrison's face split a massive grin. I spin on my heel to see a very tall man and an only slightly shorter woman standing behind me with a hot blonde chick that I recognize immediately.

"Heather!" I exclaim.

Her eyes widen in surprise, then she laughs. "Sebastian, I'm assuming?"

"The one and only. I'm so glad you came to watch me perform today." I grin wickedly at her.

"Of course. I couldn't turn down the opportunity to see a performance from the one and only Sebastian Fox. I heard he's playing with some other guy, too. Henry? Harry? Hudson? Something like that." She grins cheekily at Harrison, and he laughs.

He stands from where he's sitting to come over and hug her before hugging his parents, as well.

Harrison starts the process of introductions, ending with, "—and you obviously met Sebastian, already."

"That I definitely did." Heather beams at me, and I feel a glow of pleasure when she does.

The parents start talking amongst themselves, and I go to sit back down with Ashley. Harrison and Heather sit down next to one another in the space he was sitting in before. Hayden's sister, meanwhile, is sitting opposite him in our circle of people now that he's back next to Samantha.

I can't help but watch Harrison and Heather as our group is talking. They're laughing and joking along with the rest of us, but they smile at each other a lot.

"She's just as into him as he's into her," I murmur to Ashley with a smirk.

"Doesn't she have a boyfriend?" she whispers back.

"That's what I was led to believe." I shrug.

"Is his name 'Harrison', because..." she trails off with a smirk and I chuckle.

"Shh, he'll kill us if she can read lips or something," I whisper and Ashley bursts into laughter.

Gabriel looks over at us and raises an eyebrow. "What's so funny, Ash?"

"Nothing." She covers her mouth with her hand, and I nudge her with my elbow.

"I was just reminding Ash of something that happened on our walk, yesterday," I smile innocently at Gabriel.