Scorpio

Cyril's price was steep. I'm good at hiding my surprise, but apparently Ethos is not. He was even more surprised when he realized Cyril's price didn't include the horse. That man desperately needs to learn how business works.

We're on our way back to Mount Olympus by the time the sun is setting. I'm already working out the bill in my head- guiding him through Argos, using my connections, twenty-four hours of service- Ethos better not be running out of money yet. Of course, I'll take monthly payments. The only downside to that is that I don't like to keep connections for too long.

Well, we can work out the details when we get back to Apollo's Cellar.

We have to stop for the night, pulling off the side of the road and laying down under the stars. He entertains me for a while pointing out different star formations.

"And that one is Scorpio," he said. He pauses on that for a second. "It reminds me of you."

I stare at the stars. "Why? Because it's dangerous?"

He turns his head to me. "No. Because Scorpio was handsome, and accomplished, and his successes made Apollo so jealous that he killed him."

It's not often that a man makes me speechless, unless it's because they're being bafflingly stupid. But I have to think for a second. "Well, that doesn't bode very well for me, does it?"

Ethos laughs, turning back up to the stars. "I don't think you would let anyone get close enough to kill you. But... I do wonder if that's why no one can be your friend."

I raise an eyebrow. "I don't have time for friends."

Ethos doesn't say anything else.