Untouchable

We're silent for a long time as we climb the mountain, now without any of our equipment. I feel a bit unholy, slipping the god's watch like that. I'd be remorseful if I wasn't feeling so liberated.

Ethos feels it too. We start to get cocky as we climb, but it doesn't matter because there's no one around to see us. He tells me of his ventures, how he once climbed to the top of the Parthenon on a dare, and I tell him of mine. We sober as we go, delving deeper into our personal histories. His constant rivalry with his brother. My lifelong fight for relevance. Against my better judgment, I tell him things I've never told anyone before- my fears, my dreams.

But we're on Mount Olympus. We're untouchable.

When the sun is setting, we're high above the valley, but still so far from the peak. I sit back against a wall of rock, staring out at the setting sun. I'm really starting to miss all our supplies.

"When this is all over, I'm going to move to Athens and become an artist," Ethos says, sitting down next to me.

"Oh, I can see it now. A vendor selling painted urns," I say, laughing at him.

"Don't laugh," Ethos says. "I'll be renowned all throughout Greece. Just you wait."

"Okay," I concede, but I'm still laughing.

"What about you?" he says.

I keep smiling, but I can't keep my humor. I stare out at the sunset . "Well. A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do."

"You're no ordinary girl," Ethos says. "You don't have to do anything."

I look at him, raising a shoulder. "I'll just start professionally guiding people to Fate's Hollow. I'm sure the gods wouldn't mind."

He laughs once. "Just make sure they pay beforehand."

I raise an eyebrow, and he looks back out over the valley. The conversation is over, thank goodness. The question is still in my head though. This is the kind of conversation I'd normally run away from. Grab the money and go.

But there's nowhere to go now. And for the first time, I might be alright with that.

"When I was young, and I heard the stories of the gods, I always thought... wow," Ethos says, "I want to be like them." He looks sideways at me. "I wanted to be Zeus. Flinging thunderbolts down across the sky."

"I always wanted to be Aphrodite," I say softly, and then I immediately regret it. Me, the goddess of beauty and love? I'm the farthest thing from it, and I know it. I'm just hoping Ethos doesn't laugh at me.

He's not laughing. In fact, he's watching me intently.

"Maybe you are," he whispers.

My heart pounds as he leans closer and closer. Then he kisses me, and oh, I didn't know I wanted it until then. For years I've run at the first sign of affection, at the slightest glimmer of connection. It's too dangerous. It's bad for business. It costs.

But maybe the price is worth it. And I kiss him back.