Ethos

Now redemption is a concept I'm all too familiar with. It's what I've striven for all my life. Redemption from a poor family. Redemption from being orphaned at ten, and having to make my own way in the world. Redemption from being a glorified street rat. So when he asks my name, I give it.

"Megara," I say. "My friends call me Meg."

"Have many of those, do you?"

"None," I quip.

"Well, Megara, you look like a self-sufficient girl. You probably don't need any."

I bite back a smile. I think I'm gonna like this guy, which is unusual for me. "What's your name?"

"Ethos," he says.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," I say. "So what exactly does this expedition for redemption involve?"

He crosses his arms, a hint of anger flickering through his eyes. "Winning a bet. A bet that said I couldn't climb to the top of Mount Olympus and survive. And then, when I win the bet, I'll kill the bettor and take all his money."

"Sounds expensive," I say. "Who's the bettor?"

He clenches his fists. "An old friend of mine."

"So how do you plan on climbing to the top of Mount Olympus?"

"It starts with the right equipment." He pulls a parchment out of his bag and holds it out for me to see. "You think you can acquire these?"

I scan the list- spiked wheels, spearheads, poison, and raise an eyebrow. "Are you kidding me? I got half of those on my veranda right now." I fold my arms and shift my weight. "And, uh... how do you plan on surviving?"

The paper crumples a little in his hand. "I'm gonna have a little talk with the Fates."

I snort. "Oh, I don't think they'll take too kindly to that."

"How do you know?"

I eye him curiously. "The Fates aren't very receptive to strangers."

"And you're... not a stranger?" he says, stepping closer.

I fold my arms more tightly. "I'm not a stranger." Any girl who's wandered where I've wandered has encountered the Fates. But most of them don't make it out of there alive. That doesn't mean I'm exactly burning with a desire to go back to them. To it.