RED ENVELOPE

I'm unsure how to begin my self-introduction because I'm just a simple boy, but today marks the beginning of a life-changing journey for me.

I'm currently seated in our living room, staring at the envelope in front of me resting on the table.

I'm hesitating on whether to open it or just disregard it. I know what's written inside that envelope.

The envelope is colored red, and it bears the inscription "Covington Academy" on the front.

Little do you know, that school is the most prestigious, exclusively attended by the affluent.

How could I deserve a place in that school when we can't even afford it? Do you want to know how I received that envelope? Let's go back to the first scene.

One hour before I received that envelope:

"Mom, I'll start preparing our lunch. Is there anything you need me to buy?" I asked my mom as I headed to the grocery to purchase ingredients for our meal.

"Sure, dear. I don't need anything," my mom shouted from the kitchen.

I left the house and started walking towards the grocery.

As I approached, I noticed a familiar woman. The closer I got, the more I recognized her.

"Hey, how have you been?" She greeted me and gave me a hug.

I stepped back from her embrace and smiled. "I'm okay, how about you?" I asked in return.

"I'm soooo fine. Long time no see, by the way. Have you heard about the scholarship Sir Wilson is offering?" she said.

I looked directly at her. "Not yet," I replied.

Sir Garry Andranno Wilson is the most well-known figure in our area, boastful and enriching himself at the expense of others. He's offering a scholarship to cover up all his shady dealings.

"Sigh, you're always just at home. Why don't you try connecting with other people?" she suggested.

I didn't bother responding and headed straight into the grocery, with her following.

After paying at the counter, I bid her farewell as I needed to cook the groceries. While walking home, I noticed a man in a black suit talking to my mom. I paused, watched them from a distance, saw my mom smiling before the man got into his car, shook hands with my mom, and handed her a red envelope.

After the car left, I hurried home and found my mom sitting.

"Child, someone gave us this envelope. They said you can achieve your dreams with this," my mom said with a wide smile. I looked at the envelope she was holding, and that's when I noticed "Covington Academy" written on the front.

Mom placed the envelope on the table. "Alright, dear, I'll cook. Take a look at what's inside that envelope," she said, taking the groceries and giving me a smile before heading to the kitchen.

So, here I am, currently examining it. I carefully opened the envelope, revealing a piece of paper inside.

The paper detailed the school's mission and vision, along with their rules and regulations, and a welcoming note to us. At the bottom, I needed to sign.

I still had reservations, even though it's a scholarship. Especially since I know who and where it came from.

I glanced in the direction of my mom; she was busy cooking. Somehow, this is a good opportunity and a significant help for both me and my mom.

My hesitation vanished when my mom's smile suddenly flashed back in my mind.

I signed the scholarship, then looked at my mom again, and she was currently gazing at me. She smiled at me once more, and I returned the gesture with a sweet smile.