Chapter 35:

Eve's POV:

I smiled as I finished wrapping up Ash's birthday present, then checked my reflection in the mirror. I had curled my hair and pinned back a few strands. With a light coat of makeup that matched the casual black knee-length dress, I'd chosen for the party, of which Ash still had no idea was being held in the indoor arena. Her parents had arrived just about 10 minutes ago and Jewel and Sky had ushered them into the arena before Ash could spot them.

Ash thought Jewel and Sky were taking us out to a nice lunch to celebrate her birthday and I couldn't wait to see her face when we reached the arena. We had worked so hard to get everything nicely decorated, you could barely tell it was an arena anymore. The twins had hired a nice caterer to serve the party, so that it felt, in their own words "More grown-up", which I knew Ash wasn't all for the fancy life like we were, so I had arranged for us to go on an evening trail ride after the party was over. I felt like it was just what we needed to end our time at JOPS and start our new journeys.

The twins at the Olympics

Ash in Oregon with her parents

And me at EFA

That last one scared me more than anything.

I had tried to get Ash to consider taking my scholarship, as my parents wouldn't have to worry about even a dent in their budget if they had to pay to send me to the school, but Ash had been firm in making sure I didn't try to secretly give her my scholarship, and when I had first suggested it, Ash's reaction made me almost felt guilty. I hadn't meant to make it sound like I took pity on her or wanted to make her feel bad that her parents couldn't afford the things my parents could, I just genuinely wanted to have her at EFA with me. 

I didn't know how I would survive in a new school, in a new country, without my best friend at my side...

I didn't want to go back to just being 'That rich girl' who only had friends because her parents were loaded. Ash had been the first person to call me out on my behavior during the summer. She had been the first real friend I made who liked me for me and not because of all my possessions or parents. 

We made each other better riders as well. I pushed her to try new things and she kept my overconfidence in line. 

We were two peas in a pod and when we went our separate ways after today, I knew there were going to be tears.

The buzzing of my phone snapped me back into reality and when I checked who had texted me, a smile crossed my lips.

Jake

'Had no doubt you would be the top choice for EFA. Congratulations!'

My heart fluttered as I read his text. Our mutual breakup was still so recent and it still hurt at times, but I was glad we could still be friends and support each other.

He had decided to spend the summer being a groom and exercise rider for Oliver Townend, instead of returning home. I was happy for him, but also sad, because I had hoped we could spend some time together before I left for EFA. But he was following his dreams and I was following mine.

Hopefully our paths would cross again one day...so i could kick his butt at another show.

I laughed quietly to myself and I touched the necklace he had gotten me for Christmas. It had Hugo and Navarres names engraved in the gold chain with diamonds on each name. 

" Hey! "

Shoving my phone into the pocket of my dress, i turned and saw Sky and Jewel standing at the top of the stairs.

" We gotta go if we want to make it to the surprise party before Ash! " Sky smirked. " I think the guest of honor should be the one to be surprised, not us " she teased.