xi. undeck the halls

[xi. undeck the halls]

Niall plugged in the final strand of Christmas lights and physically breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ok Li, run that checklist by me again." Niall turned his head to the brunette laying on his bed, smiling cheekily at his phone.

"Liam?"

"Liam!" Liam jumped and his phone slipped out of his grasp, hitting him square on the forehead.

"What!" Liam rubbed the welt on his forehead tentavily.

"Checklist."

"Oh. Ok." Liam moved around with his hand on the bed, trying to find the bothersome paper.

"Ok, so no mess?" Liam asked.

"Check." Niall's eyes scanned the apartment for any out of place boxers.

"Snacks. Check." Liam had brought the snacks on his way here.

"Decorations."

"Check."

"Lights?"

"Check!"

"DVD player."

"Check."

"Lube?"

"Check."

"Condoms." Liam bit his lip.

"Chec- NO! UGH, Liam!" Niall said, nearly fainting once he got Liam's joke.

"You need to relax Niall. Harry's not gonna care what your apartment looks like, or what you look like for that matter."

"I guess your right..." Niall said while self-consiously fixing an out of place branch on the tree.

"Actually, is there anything Harry care about?" Liam asked, smiling at his friend. Niall was currently checking himself out in the reflection of an ortament, moving his purple hair from one side to the next.

"Lots of things. I'm sure. There's.. Yeah. Tons." Niall couldn't exactly come up with anything.

"So basically he's incredibly pretentious?" Liam asked, feeling his phone buzz in his pocket.

"I mean, I wouldn't say pretentious, but he's just slightly..." Niall snapped his fingers, mentally searching for the word.

"Off?" Liam suggested, fighting the urge to text Zayn back.

"Yeah, like something really bad happened to him, but he doesn't want anyone to know about it." Niall said, sitting down on the bed beside Liam.

"Maybe it's something to do with his past." Liam said.

"Well, of course it's something to do with his past. All deep problems stem back to childhood."

"Thanks Dr.Phil, I'll keep that one in mind."

☹☻

Liam left a half hour later claiming that he had to, "Make food for his diabetic cat." Which was an on-the-spot lie to cover up his obvious date with Zayn.

Niall wasn't sure what to do with himself now, without Liam to keep his mind off of what's to come with Harry. He fluffled pillows on the couch, made sure that snacks were laid out thoroughly throughout the whole kitchen and on the inn table, and saw to it that his apartment was festive, but not too festive that it would annoy Harry.

Harry on the other hand, could barely be bothered to dig through his still unpacked boxes for the movie. He had woken up in a bitter mood, one that made you want to punch someone in the face just for breathing the wrong way. He had tripped over his rug on the way to the bathroom and recieved a nasty gash on the brige of his nose that stung like a bitch and probably would need stiches, putting him even further into extreme annoyance. The last thing he wanted to do was spend the day with Tinkerbell, the fucking Leprechaun.

So instead, he slept.

☹☻

At around 7, Niall decided to slip out of his jeans and into sweatpants and a soft tshirt.

"Better for movie watching anyways I suppose." He said aloud, sitting on his couch with his knees drawn into his chest.

He waited some more.

When 9:30 had rolled around, Niall decided that maybe Harry was feeling sick. Niall didn't want to come across as pushy, so he decided to wait a little longer before going to check on Harry at his apartment.

10pm.

11pm.

Niall had nearly nodded off when he heard a nearby church bell toll, alerting him that it was now 12am, and Harry still hadn't came.

Niall pushed himself up, turning to look at all the hard work he had put into his apartment. Each glimmering light seemed like a stab now. The snacks littering the tables laughed at him as he walked out of the room, desperate to find out why Harry hadn't came.

Harry was sleeping lightly, laying on his couch with a bag of crisps on his chest, a New Girl rerun on the unwatched TV.

Niall knocked lightly, not hearing any noise going on inside of the apartment. He knocked again, louder this time, causing Harry to awaken with alarm.

Harry groaned, but still got up and stomped to the door, flinging it open aggressivly.

"Hi." Niall whispered, taking in Harry's disheveled appearance and 5'oclock shadow. His hair was wild and curly, tamed back by the younger lads' hand.

"What do you want?" Harry spat, causing Niall to cringe.

"I-I, er, well we sort of had plans tonight." Niall said, speaking softly.

"And?"

"It's midnight Harry."

"It is?" Harry asked, suddenly feeling a tiny pang of guilt.

"Yeah, but it's ok."

"No Niall, it's not. I told you we would watch that movie together and-"

"Don't worry about it Harry. It's not the first time this has happened." Niall said, smiling at Harry through the tears he felt.

"Niall we can still-" Harry tried.

"Forget about it Haz. No bigge."

"Niall, that's not fair to you though." Harry but the inside of his lip hard enough to taste blood. He was feeling the guilt a lot more now because of the optimistic boy's sweetness.

"It's ok Harry. Really." Niall assured, not meaning it.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." "No I'm not." He wanted to say.

"Ok. I mean, we can always watch it some other time." Harry said, still feeling guilty.

"Merry Christmas Harry." Niall said, not bothering to answer Harry's previous statement.

"Merry Christmas Niall." Harry whispered, but Niall was already gone.

☹☻

[no.]

[niall did not spend christmas alone waiting for harry damn it.]

[funfact! im actually beyonce.]

[vote if u love me]

[vote if u fucking hate motherfucking instagram for deleting all ur goddamn followers and shit]

[all the love, kaley.]