Chapter 3

"We already talked. I'm done talking." I waited a moment before I spoke again. "I want to ask you one question."

"Okay. Go ahead." He gestured his hand at me for me to continue.

"Why did you kiss me?" I was nervous about his response.

"What?" He began fidgeting with his fingers. Was he nervous?

"Why. Did. You. Kiss. Me?" I waited for a second before each word. I was growing impatient.

"What do you mean 'Why did I kiss you'? I figured you already knew." 

"Knew what?" I looked away, I was nervous. Our proximity wasn't helping either. His face was less than a foot away from mine. He was bent down to my eye level. 

He still didn't answer he just looked at me curiously. What does he think I know?

"Knew what?" I repeated only louder this time. I was still staring off into the distance. Not daring to look into his eyes.

"Why won't you look at me? Do you really hate me that much?" He was concerned. We both don't want to ruin this friendship. I especially. He was there for me when my grandpapa died. He beat up my old toxic boyfriends. He was my savior, that's one of the reasons why I love him. 

"I don't hate you."

"Then why won't you look at me?"

"I can't."

"Why can't you?"

When I still didn't answer him he took a finger under my chin and pulled my face to look at him.

"Hm?" He hummed in a questioning tone. He raised an eyebrow waiting for my response. That's when I broke.

"Because I like you okay! This proximity isn't really helping. So, could you back up and let me leave!!" I raised my voice. Loud enough that he heard me and low enough that no one outside of this room could hear me. He backed away in shock and I took the opportunity to run out of the bedroom and to my friends to leave. 

I find all three of them in the kitchen chatting and drinking.

"We need to leave NOW! No question right now, I'll tell you everything tomorrow." My friends and I have a code in an emergency. They all decide to listen. They put their drinks down and we leave.

It seems like an hour before I dropped everyone off and headed inside my own house. I quickly unlock the door, not bothering to re-lock it. I run upstairs and into my bedroom. I don't bother taking a shower, I'll take one in the morning. I change out of my outfit and put on sweats and a white tank top. I climb into bed when I hear a knock on the front door. I ignore it and hope they will go away. I thought they left after a few minutes. 

All of a sudden there is a knock on my bedroom door. UGH, what could Brandyn possibly want right now? I get off of my comfortable bed to open the door. I twist the knob slowly. And there he is. My eyes widen. I start to feel another panic attack coming on. I breathe in and out slowly trying to catch my breath and slow down my heartbeat.

I turn around to walk to my bed and sit down. He just stands in the doorway. "Come in, Dork" I look at him with a reassuring look. I guess he was nervous I didn't want to see him. That will never be the case.

Eli slowly walked into my room and sat on the bed right next to me. We sit in silence for a few minutes just staring at either the floor or the wall. After a long silence, I speak up. 

"Is it gonna be awkward between us now? I don't want it to be so you can forget what I said. I just can't lose you, you're my best friend and I don't think I can handle us being awkward. You are Important - " I say rambling. He just looks at me and then back down to the floor.