32

-Ashton-

"You want me to kiss all of these guys?"

Grayson's horror stricken voice echoed through the auditorium all the way to the open door where I stood. The question hit me like a slap to the face. I had no right to be possessive over Gray, but at the same time I knew my anger was justified because there was no way she would willingly volunteer to kiss the army of boys that showed up to audition for her love interest.

"Of course not!" Westbrook laughed as if the idea were totally absurd. "I'll run through the scene with you first to show them how I want it done."

My heart stopped in my chest as he marched onto the stage. This wasn't actually happening. Did he have the audacity to kiss a student? Surely he would be fired, but then again he seemed to get away with a lot more than he should.

I wanted to run up there and tackle the man before he could do anything. I would fight off every man in the room to protect Grayson, but my legs felt like cement. I was frozen in horror as I watched the predator move towards my little Gray.

"Let's take it from the beginning of the scene." Westbrook instructed, "We're standing by the lakeside, and I'm trying to prove to you that I love you and only you, but you don't want to believe me. Ready?"

Grayson's head nodded slowly and I could see the tension in her hands that were gripping the script nervously.

Westbrook smiled, clearing his throat before taking character.

"Wait! Please, Adelaide, just hear me out!" He pleaded in an overly dramatic voice.

"Why should I?" Grayson countered much more forcefully than I expected. She sounded the way she did when we argued. "This isn't going to work, Xander. We both know that it won't." She turned her face away from Westbrook.

He took a step towards her and my nails dig deeper into my palms.

"Addie," He cooed, "Don't pretend you're don't feel it too."

"You know it's not that," Grayson replied, shaking her head.

"Then what is it?" Westbrook reached out and took her hand in his. "Tell me what it is."

My blood was boiling. I could feel the heat rushing to my face as my eyes burned holes into the sight of his disgusting hands on Grayson's soft smooth ones.

"I- I- don't trust you," Grayson whispered, and I realized that she wasn't acting.

Before I could process what was happening, my legs jolted forward suddenly released from their frozen panic.

"But you can trust me," Westbrook crooned, taking a step closer to my quivering girl.

"Why?" She replied almost inaudibly.

And with that my feet hit the wooden stage.

"Because I-" Westbrook began.

"Because I love you!" The worst burst out of my mouth like they had been dying to come out and be heard. My hand wrapped around Grayson's waist as she turned in surprise. My lips crashed into hers with the same longing that they would have had if I had not seen her in a full lifetime. Her body melted against mine as I dipped her down the way they do in fairytale books and romcoms. There was an intensity that neither of us had ever felt before, and it even surprised me as I leaned deeper into the kiss.

I slowly pulled away from the sweet place that I hoped to never leave. Grayson was staring at me wide eyed. Her mouth was slightly open like she was trying to formulate words but couldn't. Before either one of us could say anything the sounds of cheering erupted from in front of the stage. Mrs. Phillips was standing and applauding with all her might.

"That's it!" She hollered. "He's perfect!"

Mr. Westbrook gaped at her in disbelief.

"Surely, you don't mean Ashton?" He stammered as if she had just told a horrible joke.

"I most certainly do mean Ashton," She beamed. "The passion, the fire, the connection, it's all there! We can send of these lads home!" She exclaimed, motioning towards the disappointed and confused mass of boys who had been dying for their shot with Grayson.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Phillips, but I don't believe that you have the authority to give out parts on a whim." Westbrook laughed nervously.

Mrs. Phillips shook her head, "You gave the first lead to Grayson, so I do believe that I have the power to give the second lead to who I see fit for the part. This is a joint collaboration after all."

Westbrook stared at her completely speechless as she proceeded to herd the hoard of disappointed boys out of the auditorium.

"I have a meeting to head to; don't forget to send Ashton the rehearsal schedule!" She called as she picked up her bag to leave.

Westbrook ran after her in desperation, leaving just Grayson and I alone on the auditorium stage.  I turned to face her, realizing that she had not moved since I kissed her. Her eyes were still wide and her lips still parted in surprise. My hands were still resting on her hips and I began to move them in embarrassment but she stopped me by pulling them back to where they had held her.

"Grayson, I-" I began, but she stopped me by pressing her soft lips to mine.

The kiss was sweet and gentle, but urgent. I moved one hand from her waist to cup her cheek, only to find that it was wet.

I pulled away to find that she was crying, her stormy eyes were glazed over with tears and her sniffling nose was a rosy pink. I brushed the tears away with my thumb, stroking her cheek.

"Ashton, I'm so sorry." She sniffled.

"It's okay," I comforted, but she shook her little head to stop me. 

"I don't know what I would've done without you. I would've had to kiss not only Mr. a Westbrook, but all the other boys that were here. I would've had to kiss Peter and Tristan and-" Her face was become pale just at the thought of the unwanted intimacy.

"But I'm right here, Gray," I assured. "And I would never let them lay a finger on you."

"You were completely right about Mr. Westbrook. You warned me about his intentions, you warned me that I shouldn't meet him, and I went anyways. I was so so so stupid," She buried her face in my chest.

"Hey, you didn't know any better." I said stroking her hair.

Her hands tightened around my shirt. "That's just it! Everyone thinks I'm so naïve and I'm starting to think they're right!"

"You're not naïve," I smiled softly, "You just look for the best in people. You can't help that you have a big heart."

Her worried expression eased at my words. "But I promise I won't go against what you say again," She leaned forward to get closer to me, standing up on her tippy toes. "I promise I'll be a really good girl."

I choked a little at the sound of those words.

Pulling myself together, I felt the need to apologize too, "It wasn't just you though, I was jealous and you knew it."

She looked up at me empathetically, "I know, but you just wanted to take care of your girl."

My heart melted, I couldn't believe someone like Grayson would ever want to be friends with me, much less be considered "my girl".

"And I intend on taking damn good care of my girl for as long as she'll put up with me." I beamed, sweeping her up off her feet Cinderella style.

Grayson squealed in surprise, "Careful!"

"Oh course I'll be careful, I have precious cargo in my arms." I winked.

She laughed, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Do you think you'll actually do the play, Ash?"

The thought that I had just been cast as a lead in the school play hadn't dawned on me yet. "I'm not sure..." I replied honestly. "But I know what I'm doing for now."

Grayson crooked her head to the side, " And what's that?"

"I'm taking you home."