Chapter 20 Erika

The wine was starting to loosen her up, untangling the strands of her anxiety that kept her bound. Stefan's warm laugh made her stress disappear completely. She could tell he was relaxed as well, his hair falling out of its gelled style and his smile growing wider each time they laughed. They were now curled up on the couch, close enough that they brushed each time one of them moved. It was comfortable. Maybe even too comfortable.

The stars now glittered above them. The soft lighting wrapped the veranda in a soft, warm glow. It was the perfect romantic atmosphere. Erika knew she was treading into dangerous waters but after that last glass of wine, she no longer cared. She also knew Stefan wanted her just as much as she wanted him but he had yet to make a move. He respected her and probably knew better. But she couldn't help but feel like she belonged there next to him.

"Your turn." She told him, pouring them both another glass.

"Alright, what is your favorite song and why."

"It's silly but Silence by Marshmello and Khalid because I feel like I can really relate to it. I went silent after my parents died and it gives me hope that I can find peace and one day, I can have the strength to break out of my silence." She looked down at her hands. It felt strange opening up to him so easily.

"I respect that." He took her hand up in his. "But you are so much stronger than you realize."

She smiled at him, tears threatening to spill out. God it felt good to hear someone say that.

"But Marshmello? Come on love." He teased.

"I don't listen to that kind of stuff." She laughed, defending herself. "My best friend, Naomi, showed my that song. Usually I listen to more alternative stuff. Chvrches and Florence and the Machine are my favorite. Sometimes Billie Eilish when i'm feeling moody."

He shook his head at her. "You're killin me lassie."

"Alright then fine, what do you listen to?" She elbowed his side.

"Classic rock mostly. Anything loud. Although, I can't say I've heard Florence and the whatever."

"Such a dude." It was her turn to shake her head. "Alexa, play Florence and the Machine." The device beeped before playing. The first few notes of Strangeness and Charm played. Not my first choice but it'll do.

"What's this?" He looked up at her confused.

"You said you've never heard her songs." She smiled.

"I like it." He admitted after a few more moments. He then stood up and held out his hand. "Dance with me." She smiled and took his hand.

A mischievous grin spread on his face as he pulled her with him. He was surprising a better dancer than she expected. He swung her around the yard, laughing as they spun. After a bit, the wine caught up to her and made her lose her balance. Luckily, Stefan was right there to catch her. Instead of falling like she did in the closet, she was caught in his arms, held close in his chest with his heart beating rapidly against her cheek. Electricity zapped between them as she look up into his eyes.

"Do you always fall around me?" He teased. The urge to kiss him pulled at her once again. But she shouldn't. She was supposed to be staying away from her teacher, not wanting to kiss him, again.

"Not intentionally." She escaped his hold and went to stand next to the table. Grabbing a macaron, she paced next to the table.

Stefan sat back down and ran a hand through his hair. "I uh, guess it's your turn for a question."

The fire within her burned with desire, pooling between her legs. They began moving on their own, resting on either side of him so she was now straddling his lap. Stefan held still, carefully watching her as her hands cradled the sides of his face. Her fingers intertwined within his beard. It was soft and the lights above them made the golden strands glow against her skin.

"Did you give up on finding love?" She whispered.

"Yes." He swallowed. "I couldn't find a girl that wasn't shallow. They wouldn't look deeper than the surface and see me. My granny believed in old celtic magic and that everyone had their own fate. I guess after a while I figured it was my fate to be alone."

Erika looked up to find his eyes looking deeply into her own. She could see his restlessness on the emerald green surface. But she looked deeper, knowing there was so much more underneath. How could no one else be so enchanted by them? How did no other woman want him as badly as she did? Beneath the rugby player facade was a man who loved art and adventure, loved to find the beauty in this world. Was it possible that at some point he could love her? Maybe the wine had finally gotten to her head, because she wanted to throw caution to the wind and close the safe distance she tried to place between them.

"I see you."