Chapter Two

"Anne!" Bash's voice called up. "Let's see what you got!"

       "Ok!" The redhead shouted down. She peered over the edge of the crows eye she was in, seeing Diana sitting with Cole. Both of them held two thumbs up, smiling at her. "Here goes nothing." Anne whispered before running out and jumping. For a few minutes, she was weightless; flying a good 46 feet above the ground. She smiled, holding her arms out ahead of her and gripping onto the steel bar. She heard Diana's whoop, and Cole's chants. Pulling herself up, she straightened her arms, detaching the bar from it's supports and she was again flying. She flipped herself into a tuck and smiled more. Sitting on the bar, she fell back, flawlessly executing the routine she wrote with the help of Marilla.

       "Let's go, Anne!" Jerry called up. "That's my sister!" Anne gripped onto the bar, flipping back to a normal position. She eyed the rope a little to her left before standing. Silence was what filled the tent as everyone held their breath. Bash stood at the bottom with Matthew and Ms. Stacy, all ready to catch her if she fell. Mary stood with a first aid kit, ready to treat any broken bones. Anne held her breath before jumping off of the bar. Weightless again, only with a feeling of dread. She held her breath, reaching out for the rope. Her eyes widened as her fingers brushed it, not quite gripping.

       "ANNE!" Shouts sounded from below. "GET THE ROPE!" Anne held her breath, calming herself down some. Ignoring the panic as she fell. She focused on the rope, reaching forth further. Finally, she hooked a finger around it, refusing to look down. She pulled herself to the rope and wrapped herself around it, closing her eyes in concentration. It burned her hands as she gripped onto it, holding tightly. Eventually, she stopped falling. There was silence followed by the sound of people running. Anne opened an eye to find herself hanging about 12 feet in the air. Safe.

       "Anne! Come down!" Diana cried. She noticed the support people holding out a net and she released the rope, falling back. She felt the net close around her and breathed, allowing the panic to leave. "Oh Anne, are you killed?" Diana cried, the net being placed on the ground.

       "No. My pride is however." Anne grunted, sitting up. She looked at her bosom friend with a smile. Like her, Diana was a misfit. She was blessed with the voice of an angel...but the looks of a man. A messed up gene caused her face to be marred with hair earning her the name the bearded beauty. Bash had heard Diana's voice and came to ask her to join, stopping her suicide. She and Anne had been best friends since, defending each other when the time called for it. Walking over to Mary, she held out her hands, wincing as the medication burned. She opened her eyes to find Mary's lips pursed, looking in the bag.

       "Everything okay?" Diana asked, gripping Anne's shoulder.

       "I fear I don't have the ointment to heal the burns." Mary looked at Anne with a sorrowful gaze.

       "Won't they heal on their own?" Jerry asked, limping over to his sister.

       "Yes, with time..." Mary trailed off.

       "How much time are we talking?" Anne asked, flexing her hands, trying to ignore the pain.

       "...three weeks." Mary whispered.

       "Three weeks?" The shout resounded around the entire tent.

       "I can't wait three weeks." Anne stated. "Our first show is in less than 6 days."

       "I'm sorry. I don't have what we need." Mary apologized, wrapping a bandage around Anne's hands. She gave them a motherly pat before smiling sadly.

        "I could escort Anne to the town." Cole offered, jogging over to where they stood. "Just tell me where we should go and I can take her." Mary sighed, looking at her husband. Bash walked over, looking at Anne's torn hands and her big grey eyes.

       "Please?"

       "Fine. Be back in 30 minutes." Bash stated, crossing his arms. He looked at both Cole and Anne, giving them strict rules to follow and suggesting they change, and look at gloves for the next few practices.

       "I'm fine with the gloves." Anne replied, placing her arm through Cole's. "But I'm going out like this." She stated, gesturing down at her trousers and blouse. Her hair was up in a messy bun and she looked tired.

       "Anne!" Diana chastised, looking her friend over. Anne smiled and walked out, head held high. She ignored the calls as she and Cold made their way into the market place.

        "Where do you think they sell gloves?" Cole asked as they milled around, looking for the medical center and shop. Anne shrugged, squinting as the bright sun reflected the water on the road. "I mean, I see buttons and pins, scarves and hats, but no gloves." 

       "I got this." Anne assured, walking up to a woman who stood in front of them. She had blond hair and was wearing a light blue dress. "Excuse me, miss. I was wondering if you could point us in the direction of gloves and the medical center?" Anne asked with the kindness only she could pull of. The woman turned around, blinking her blue eyes. She smiled, nodding.

        "Oh, I am on my way to the medical center as we speak. I can walk you there and give up a map to the nearest store."

       "That would be lovely." Anne smiled, walking in step with the woman. "I'm Anne and that's Cole." Anne said, gesturing to them.

       "Winifred." The woman responded. Holding out her hand to shake. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I do say, you have an interesting choice in fashion." Winifred trailed off, smiling at Anne's appearance. "I applaud you for wearing trousers."

       "Their comfortable and allow me to do my job." Anne smiled in return with a shrug. "I envy your dress and you are the most beautiful woman I have ever met." Anne complimented, turning more to the girl. "You have the most lovely shade of blue in your eyes and your hair is to die for."

       "Thank you." Winifred blushed. "You're hair is the most beautiful color I have seen however." Anne scowled and Cole laughed.

       "I apologize," Cole began, recovering. "It's just Anne hates her hair." He smiled. Winifred looked relieved she didn't make a huge mistake. "Is this where we are supposed to be?" He asked, looking at a sign that read Dr. Ward's Clinic. Winifred nodded, opening the door.

       "This way." She smiled, leading them into the office.