Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

I looked back at the large wall full of books, many old titles poking out. My fingers ran along the spines as I searched for a book. A book with the words The Twelve stuck out to me, so I pulled it from the shelf. Inside it was filled with images that matched the painting above me. The first page had "Scorpio" written on top, the image of a scorpion stabbing a buff hunter. Multiple paragraphs were written underneath it, something about mythology and the history of the Scorpio. Shrugging, I left the library with the thick book clenched in my hands and headed back to my room.

When I arrived back at the gray door, I noticed a note taped onto it with a small package hanging beneath it.

"Hey, princess! Hurry up and get ready because we have to get you something nice to wear to dinner. Yours truly, Lupus.

(P.S. Casey asked me to give you these earrings.)"

At the very bottom of the note was a heart, a three point crown, and a poorly drawn dog. I snorted and opened the package. At the bottom of the tiny box layed two yellow topaz earrings, the jewels smaller than my pinkie nail. I just threw them onto my bed, along with the book, and pulled out a black leather jacket similar to Lupus's and a gray crop top. Then I slipped on plaid leggings and the same boots I wore this morning. Black onyx earrings hung from my ears and I fixed my makeup. I quickly did double dutch braids and walked out the door, irritated at the fact that I already had clothes and didn't need new ones, especially not to impress some man with no respect for me.

Lupus stood at the front door, wearing the same outfit from this morning. He smiled as I walked up and gave a cat call. "Now we're matching."

I shrugged and flipped my braids over my shoulder. "You just have a good taste in style, I guess." His grin grew as he started to walk into the Scorpio's district. He only stopped when he realized I wasn't following. "Where's your little automobile?"

He looked around, as if searching for it. "Well, I figured since we're just going into town, we don't need to take Ol' Rhonda. No need to waste fuel when we can walk."

We continued walking for a bit on the dark streets when I broke the silence. "Is leaving little notes for me going to become a habit for you?"

Lupus's amber eyes glowed with humor as he said, "Why not? It's fun."

I scowled, even though I did enjoy them, as I replied, "The Scorpio was right, you are like a child."

"I thought I was a big puppy." His lips did a little pout and his eyes looked like a dog begging for a scrap of food.

"Same thing." Lupus's laugh broke through the darkness, bringing a laugh of my own.

"I thought Ara wanted to take me shopping? Why do you want to?" I didn't add that I've never had a guy go shopping with me before.

He stopped laughing and looked away from me. "Because Ara wants to see how much money she can get with a pretty thing like you."

"What?"

He looked back at me, his fair skin flushed. "Ara has two jobs. And both of them give her a lot of hate. The first one, well she's the tax collector of the Scorpio's district."

"Tax collector?" The Sagittarius didn't have one, he didn't need it.

"Yeah. People don't exactly throw money at Casey like they do with Ivan."

I grumbled at that comment, but asked him what her second job was. His skin was even brighter than before as he whispered, "She's uhh... she's a stripper."