Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

Ruby arrived much earlier than we expected, bashfully walking in almost as soon as Mina sent her letter. The Cancer was short, her head barely reaching the shoulder of the Pisces, who was almost as tall as Casey. Ruby had fluffy bangs and her reddish hair was pinned up in two messy buns atop her head. She had full lips that were painted a dark pink, matching her eye shadow. Freckles speckled her fair skin and cream-colored eyes met mine. A lovely smile spread on her lips and I couldn't help but mirror it.

"You must be the Southern Crown. I'm the Cancer." She grabbed my hand and brought me closer to her, hugging me in a motherly way. "But, you may call me Ruby." As I leaned in closer, I realized she looked older than most Zodians. Maybe it was her maturity or motherly personality, but I was instantly drawn to her.

Mina pulled me away from Ruby's embrace and replaced me, picking up the gentle woman. Ruby laughed and squeezed the other woman back. Something twisted in my stomach at the sight and I had to look away.

The couple separated and Ruby looked back behind us. "Casey, what did Tanith do? Daniel told me about the letters, about Latona," her eyes flashed toward mine again, "But I need more details."

I turned back to see Casey and Lupus walking out of a room, Lupus's arm slung casually over Casey's shoulder. The Scorpio looked mildly irritated at the man beside him. The gray-haired male only smiled lazily, winking in my direction. Casey shoved him off, pulling the letters from a pocket inside of his black suit. "That's the thing, Ruby. I don't have many details. All I have is the knowledge of her past and these letters." He waved the papers frantically, his eyes getting a crazed look to them. While all the other Zodians maintained their masks, the Scorpio seemed to be breaking down before all of us. "But, please. Trust me. I know she's up to something horrible, something that'll end all of our lives."

"Oh, just like the last time we trusted you?" The Pisces scoffed. The woman who allegedly said she missed Casey before was replaced by a hurt one, sudden tears of anger rolling down her cheeks. Something must have triggered these emotions, she must have been holding them in for a long time.

Last time? I questioned, shooting mental daggers toward Casey. His tan skin paled, his maroon eyes dodging me. Was this what he was talking about when he said he's different? That he's done something horrible? All Zodians are malicious, so he's not special in that sense. If anything, he has an ounce of good in him. Though, sometimes I wish he didn't.

The Aquarius turned toward Mina, resting a hand on her shoulder. "Enough. I allowed Casey into my home to give him a second chance, not for you to kick him down." Jordan gave Casey an apologetic look, his silver eyes watery. "But, I expect you to use that chance wisely. Now, Tanith may be powerful and a Zodian, but I have no respect for those who don't respect others. Respect is earned, not given. So, Casey, tell us what you think she's planning."

Casey shook away the thoughts that were haunting him and blinked his eyes rapidly. "Let us meet in private, just the four of us." He glanced at the rest of us, the Constels who are nothing more than slaves to them, and Mina, Ruby, and Jordan followed him into another room.

Before I could stomp off and find out more about the mysterious man who ruled over me, Lupus grabbed my arm, spinning me toward him. "So, princess, what the fuck is wrong?"