Chapter 2

Note balls and text messages

    When I got to my room I couldn’t stop myself from crying, I didn’t even notice Charlotta trying to phone and text me until I finished.

 “Where are you?” “Why didn’t you wait for me?” she texted.

 “I’m so sorry. Dean was there. You’re right, he’s trouble.” I replied.

 “Maybe we’ve judged him too quickly.” she texted back. I was confused, what would have made her change her mind and why didn’t she believe me?

    My sister Georgie stormed into my room and started searching through my things.

    She was blonde with natural waves in her hair that she was constantly fighting. Her eyes were a dark blue. She was wearing a short dark green dress with dark leggings but her feet were bare.     

    She was the good looking popular type that had boyfriends and loads of friends, she was nothing like me.

 “Get out of my room, stop touching my things. What are you looking for?” I was annoyed at her intrusion.

 “I need the straighteners, I’m going out. Don’t tell mum and dad.” she continued to search.

 “Here… Where are you going?” I asked passing her the straighteners from my bedside table.

 “Just a club. I’ll probably be back by the morning.” she said as she left to get ready.

    She was eighteen already but our parents still didn’t allow her to go out on weeknights. Somehow she hadn’t been caught since the time when she was seventeen and she hadn’t gotten back in the house when we got up for school and work.

    That time she made it back home just an hour before mum got up for work waking me up in the process.  

    Dean didn’t talk to either of us for weeks, I didn’t even see him in class much until one day I found him and Charlotta sat, drinking from the same bottle in the playground.

 “Why are you with him?” I asked.

 “He brought vodka.” she shrugged.

 “I’m sorry if I upset you before, I left you alone like you said but you can’t stop me hanging out with Charlotta.” he slurred a little.

    I sighed and sat with them. “If your dad finds us we’ll all be in trouble.”

 “I don’t want you to leave me alone, I just didn’t know what you were going to do.” I admitted. “Let’s start again, I’m Skye.” I added holding out my hand for him to shake it.

    He took my hand and forced me into a momentary hug. “Dean” he said before letting me go and passed me the vodka.

 “No, I don’t drink anymore, why’d you bring vodka to school anyway? At least she hides it.” I said trying not to remember the last time I was drunk.

 “My parents bought it for some friend’s promotion and they forgot to take it with them.” he said.

 “Won’t they mind?” I asked.

 “They won’t notice, they aren’t back for another week.” he shrugged before taking a drink.

 “Dean, slow down.” Charlotta warned taking the bottle and drinking.