Archangel, Epilogue

"Mommy, where are we going?"

     The woman said nothing as she dragged her son across the street and into an alleyway. She threw the boy to the floor and crouched down to his level, ignoring his cry of pain. "You are going to sit here until I come back for you. Understand?"

     "Yes, mommy..."

     "You've been a bad boy. You were meant to love girls, not boys. I want you to pluck out your feathers."

     "W-what?"

     "Do as I say!"

     "But... but Mommy it hurts..."

     "Ignore it, you ungrateful brat!"

     The pink-haired boy unfolded his small wings, pushing his left one forward and delicately placing a single feather between his fingers. He clenched his teeth and yanked, crying as a bit of blood dripped from the new wound.

     "When I come back, I want 25 feathers arranged in a neat pile." The woman spread her black wings and jumped, the wind from her burst knocking her son on his butt. He didn't want to hurt himself. He didn't want the pain. Nevertheless, the boy, Tanarushi, plucked his feathers, waiting for his mother to come back.

     She never did...

     A large man walked down the street, eating a plate of takoyaki, but stopped when he heard quiet sobbing. He furrowed his brow and turned to face the alleyway beside him, surprised to see a small boy with bony, blood-covered wings. His eyes widened and he rushed forward, throwing the paper plate in a trash bin on his way to the small figure he saw, crouched down and shivering.

     When the man, Taishiro Toyomitsu, reached the figure, they scooted away, obviously injured as they did not move their legs. They whimpered as Taishiro crouched down to meet them. "Hey, it's okay. What's your name?"

     "I don't know... I only know my last name..."

     "What's your last name?"

     "W-why should I tell you?"

     "Because I want to help you...?"

     "Tanarushi. I'm 7 years old."

     "I believe I have a name for you, kid." The boy looked up with hopeful eyes, a quiet "Really" leaving his hoarse throat. "Yes. I think you should be called Kenji."

     "Kenji..."

     "Would you like to come with me?"

     "Yeah... if that's okay?"

     The man inspected Kenji, noting the blood dripping from fresh wounds in the boy's wings. He looked around to see bits of spattered blood and many black feathers laying on the ground. "Who did this to you, Kenji?"

     "I did..."

     "Why?"

     "Mommy told me to..." Taishiro felt his blood boil at the boy's words, his fist clenching beside him. How could a mother make her child injure himself so badly and then just... leave him to rot? Everyone deserves parents, but not everyone deserves children.

     "Oh dear, I'm so very sorry... Can I pick you up?"

     The boy nodded and Taishiro leaned over to put him in his arms, Kenji scooting towards him a bit. "Do you have a home?" Taishiro carried the small child in the direction he came from, out of the alley and past the trash can with his discarded treat, down the sidewalk to the shop that sold boba tea.

     "No..."

     "Do you like tea?"

     "I've never had it."

     "Thats going to change today. Would you like to sit on my shoulders?"

     "Yes..." The big man put Kenji on his big shoulders, giving him a wider view of the city. Walking into the boba shop, Taishiro asked, "What's your favorite fruit?"

     "Mango..."

     The man stepped up to the counter, ordering a mango boba tea and a leche one, using his hero discount and poking straws through the tops of the drinks, handing Kenji the yellow one to sip on. "Kenji, do you want to live with me?"

     "I would like that... thank you, Mr."

     "You're very polite for a 7-year-old!"

     "I get punished if I'm not."

     "Punished? How?"

     "Mommy makes me pull out my feathers... it hurts..." Taishiro patted the boy's leg and said, "Well, you're not going to be pulling out any more, okay?"

     "Okay..."

~~~~~
Pages: 2.1

Words: 670

Adorableness: Maximum