CHAPTER FOUR - WAWA

CHAPTER FOUR

WAWA

One of the occupational hazards of thumbing is arriving at your last drop off, and there are a few hitchhikers already ahead of you.  This is what I found in Wawa.  There were two or three other groups ahead of me.  You kind of want to keep your distance to give them room, not crowd them.  I asked, “How long you been here?”  “Two days”, they grunted.

My heart fell.  The two guys were a bit older and kind of rough looking.  I was a little bit afraid that they would harass me or tell me to move on, so I just kept walking down the road to keep my distance.  Finally a pick-up truck came along and picked up those two.  I watched them pile into the back.  I saw them squinting at me as they pulled away.  I felt relieved that they were gone.  It was getting late and I hadn’t moved in about 8 hours.  So I kept talking to myself about patience and what it means.

I don’t think I was born with a lot of patience but I was allowing myself the need to exercise it.  I believed that there was something spiritual about having to wait for your reward.  The reward might be a ride further up the road, or just someone taking one good look at you, a thin scrawny kid, and offering you an apple that tasted delicious.  I wasn’t eating much and the less I ate, the tighter and smaller my stomach got.

It was late afternoon when I saw this pale robin’s egg blue Plymouth approaching at a moderate pace.  It was a Plymouth Valiant, a car I knew well.  The guy pulled up and he looked really friendly as he talked to me through the open window.  He also had a dog with him that seemed happy to see me.  I was overjoyed when he said, “hop in!”