CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE TACOMA AND BUGELOW CAT

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

TACOMA AND BUGELOW CAT

We arrived in Tacoma a smallish Washington town well after midnight.

"Want a beer Pete?"

"Sure don't mind if I do."

"There's not as much alcohol in there as your Canadian beer."

"Don't know but still tastes good and goes down real smooth."

"What do you think of this," as Cat brought out a fairly new Yamaha guitar out of a black soft body cardboard shell?

I strummed a few chords and went into, "Out On The Weekend"

"See the lonely boy

Out on the weekend

Tryin' to make it pay

Can't relate to joy

He tries to speak and

Can't begin to say..."

from Harvest and then did my pretty good version of "Needle and The Damage Done"

"I sing the song because I love the man

I know that some of you don't understand

Milk blood to keep from

Running out

I seen the needle and the damage done

A little part of it in everyone

And every junkies like a setting sun".....

"Hey, that's pretty good," chimed in Cat and Karen.

"Here your turn."

Cat took the guitar and started to play "Father and Son". I knew he was going to do it and he did a really good version with a little tremolo in his voice. I looked over at Karen and she clearly adored him and it was sweet. We drank some more beers and played more songs. I felt as if I was alone at home where I could just sing and play with just a couple of friends. We played late.

Karen left the room to have a shower. Cat, gave me a wink saying, "Watch this." He disappeared after her into the next room and I could hear her give a low laugh. I listened to the water hitting the shower stall floor and wondered if I should be listening to this or anything else. I had never been in this situation where you just slip into the shower with your girlfriend as if it was so natural as changing into your T-shirt or a freshly washed best pair of faded jeans. The ones with the patches sewed on yourself from old fabric so you had more patches on it than actual denim. But you know, it feels so soft and good, you feel ready to take on the town, hang out or cruise around town in your parent's car or truck.

After awhile Karen and Cat emerged from the bathroom. Their hair was still damp and a towel was wrapped around Karen's head. "I'm pretty tired, so I'm going to bed," she said.

"Here's a pillow and a blanket, you can sleep on the couch."

"I have a sleeping bag I can use that."

"Why don't you just use the blanket, it's OK?"

"Sure thanks, see you in the morning."

Felt the warm Tacoma sun spread across the floor through the partially open curtain. Karen and Cat got up and offered me breakfast.

"Want some granola, it's from the local natural foods store. There's lots of nuts in it."

We all dug into our bowls and finished them off. Karen made some coffee that tasted amazing and we took them to the porch and rolled the first cigarette of the day. I rolled one for Cat and we both relaxed taking in the morning, enjoying the coffee and smoke.

"I want to take you to meet some of my friends today. They are really into jamming and you'll really dig them. I want them to hear you play."

"That sounds good, eh. Nothing better to do."

We drove out later and called on a few people. The first guys weren't home but the second one was. We climbed the fires escape out back to the apartment. Cat shouted out the guys name and he came to the door. He had long hair and beard and looked a little hung over something I felt too, but he welcomed us in. Cat had brought the guitar and his buddy soon brought out his. He played some blues kind of Led Zeppelin stuff that was good. We passed around the guitar and a joint and kept trading songs.

I played a Cat Steven's song, "Where Have All The Children Gone", and "Longer Boats Are Coming To Win Us."

Cat's friend had more dope so we smoked up some more on the porch as the sun reached midday. "Lets go back and find out what Karen is doing."

So we got back in the car and said our goodbyes. Karen was glad to see us. Cat said, "We have to take Pete to Mount Washington." So we planned to do a hike the next day.

Next day rolled around and we packed a lunch and headed out with Karen driving. I could see the mountain in the distance as we approached. Cat said there was snow on the top. I wanted to make a snowman so was kind of excited. I had not seen snow in the summer except for that time I was out in B.C. and we climbed a peak in July when I traveled there as a Young Voyager. I had been chosen by my school along with another girl as promising students to represent Simcoe County.

We parked in the lot at the base of the mountain and began following the well- marked worn trail. I was glad I had my hiking boots with me and we made good time. It was great to be in the tree line and the air was fresh. You could see out over the area from about half way up. Karen and Cat were getting a bit tired so we decided not to go all the way to the top. That suited me fine. It was still great to be out.

When we got to the bottom there was a wide stream that we walked along. It was so clear, you could see right to the bottom. On impulse I decided to jump into the stream with my hiking boots and walked up to my knees. The river was really cold from the mountain run off but it felt great. I walked along down the River as the footing was firm under my hiking boots.

Cat and Karen watched me, smiling at me as I was enjoying myself. It would take awhile later for my boots to dry but I didn't care.