Rules

As with anything where multiple people are involved, we need to lay out some ground rules before we dive into any of this juicy writing stuff

As with anything where multiple people are involved, we need to lay out some ground rules before we dive into any of this juicy writing stuff. We don't want to be super sticklers here, but some things need to be laid out and abided by, and if they aren't, consequential action will be taken, and unfortunately, that may mean some premature booting from this course. Just make sure you read through these and keep them in mind, and nobody has to be yeeted. Thank you, friends.

1. Be respectful and kind.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. It's a given that you should treat other writers the way you want to be treated while bearing in mind that many of the participants are passionate about writing. If someone requests a critique, by all means, provide your feedback, but also ask yourself whether your criticisms are constructive. If they aren't, think twice. Basically, don't be a jerk because honestly, what's the point?

If you are in conflict with someone, bring it to us first, and we will resolve the issue. We have much experience in mediating conflicts.

2. Bullying and/or harassment will not be tolerated.

Piggybacking off of the above rule, if you are found bullying or harassing anyone for any reason, you will be removed from the competition without a second thought, and will not be permitted to return. This is a safe space for all writers, and none should have to worry about being harassed by their peers and colleagues. Don't do it.

3. The hosts are human.

In case you forgot, we are, unfortunately, also of the mortal coil. This means we have lives we have to attend to. If we are a bit late, please be patient; give us at least twenty-four hours after any particular mentioned deadline to get back to you or to post the weekly tasks. Since we are going to be very loose with these deadlines, we hope any tardiness on our ends is especially forgivable, leading us into our next point,

4. Be punctual, however...

...You have lives. A lot of you are in college, some of you might have families, etcetera, etcetera. We understand that. So while we make a note here to be punctual since we believe it will help you continue to be consistent with your writing, we understand it's not always possible, and you will not have to stick to the deadlines religiously. If you want to submit something late, go right ahead. If you can't submit for one week, that's okay. This also means we might not be able to get feedback to you in a timely manner, but if you request it, we'll try our best. Just be sure to be patient with us if you decide to take advantage of this leniency.

And, again, at least try to make the deadlines. They are there to benefit you and help you get the most out of this course as possible.

5. Writing is to be submitted by email.

     In our experience, this is the most efficient way to receive your submissions each week (or each time you submit). For the sake of keeping it simple, we'll be going with Seth's hosting email, which some of you may already know, at gamesbyshay@gmail.com. We will both have access to your submissions through this email. If this does not work for you, talk to one of us, and we can try to work something out.

6. Ask for help.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Don't be afraid to ask for clarification at any point this is running. Help us help you. This goes for any concerns you might have with your own project, too. This is a writing course, and we're here to offer our assistance.

And that's about it! Pulling from the last rule, we will be posting a FAQ chapter shortly in order to try and clear up more questions you might currently have.