Week Nine: Reclaim the Swamp

Nine weeks! You've come quite a ways but it's not over yet. Congratulations and remember to keep going, even to those of us that are struggling. Never too late for a strong finish.

 Never too late for a strong finish

Levi Hughes | Task: ✓ | Writing: ✓

Seth Waylin | Task: ✓ | Writing: ✓

Garrett Vallejo | Task: | Writing:

Rhinen Ryan | Task: | Writing:

K. T. Andershaw | Task: | Writing:

Joseph Vaccaro | Task: | Writing: ✓

Emma Della | Task: | Writing:

Magma Kepner | Task: | Writing:

Richard Byrd | Task: | Writing:

Karla Villarreal | Task: | Writing:

For this week, we'll be returning to an idea that's crucial to plotting

For this week, we'll be returning to an idea that's crucial to plotting. Whether it be through a singular chapter or the whole book in itself, this week will be about conflict and sub conflicts.

It's important to establish conflict within your stories but to also maintain a certain distinction between internal conflict and external conflict. And as you might already know, there are six types of conflict: Person vs. Self, Person vs. Person, Person vs. Society, and Person vs. Nature, Person vs. Supernatural, and Person vs. Technology The first one is purely internal whereas the latter five are external.

For the most part, you're always going to have a little bit of both as one often affects the other through cause and effect. Similarly, even in stories where the main plot is something like Person vs. Nature, you're still going to have a little Person vs. Self that will be seen throughout their character arc, it just won't be the main conflict of the story, it would be a sub conflict that's adding to it.

Which, that being said, we're going to ask you to think about the many conflicts for your protagonist and to try to get a good feel for managing conflicts in your work. To do this, we'll be asking you to make a list that will include the type of conflict, at least one external conflict, at least one internal conflict, and the different motivations and goals for each one.

Example:

Shrek from Shrek (obviously)

Main conflict: Man vs. Society

External goal(s):
-
Reclaim his swamp.
-Talk to the king about the fairytale characters invading his swamp.
-Rescue Fiona.
-Return to solitude.

External motivation(s):
-
His swamp has been taken over by storybook characters.
-He can reclaim his swamp only if he rescues Fiona, as dictated by Lord Farquad.

External conflict(s):
-
Society's reaction to him as the big scary ogre.
-The dragon that guards Fiona's castle.
-Lord Farquad.

Internal goal(s):
-
To figure out what appearance means.
-He wants to reject others before they have the chance to reject him.
-Simultaneously he wants Fiona to like him.

Internal motivation(s):
-
He has been rejected in the past and expects people to hate him
-He wants to be worthy of love, though he hides this fact.

Internal conflict(s):
-
He is afraid of opening himself up only to be rejected and proving his fears of being unlovable to be true.

You can do this for as many characters as you want, or if you'd like, you can even do this for the antagonist rather than the protagonist. Also, feel free to be more detailed, or follow a different format entirely as this was just to give you an idea on where to start when it comes to plotting out your various conflicts.

DEADLINE

Sunday, August 16th, at 12 pm PST/3 pm EST.

Line Prompt: "That's way too many Capri Suns

Line Prompt: "That's way too many Capri Suns."

Picture Prompt:

Song Prompt: All For Us ~ Labrinth ft

Song Prompt: All For Us ~ Labrinth ft. Zendaya