Chapter 6

|| Chapter 6 ||

Unexpectedly, Scarlett found herself and her cats out on ocean water for more than just a couple days. Fortunately, Khan had been prepared and made sure they had water and food. A couple of other cats who happened to be Khan's boat buddies joined them, having missed the boat leaving last time it'd been there, and were a bit of catmint-heads. Chill for the most part, but pretty lazy and a bit skittish.

When land was in the distance, he'd call her up to his nook on the cabin roof. She could see the defined skyline of the city. Even from here, she could see it was much bigger than the old twolegplace.

Turning to Khan, what had been eating at her finally began to make its way out. "I don't have the words to tell you how grateful I am for what you've done for us...for me...I don't think I'll ever be able to truly convey that to you."

Khan brushed it aside with a shake of his head. "I may have done it for you, but I don't need any thanks, Scarlett. You're...mm...well, I don't know how else to put it; you're an interesting cat, and I can't help but be intrigued by you. The few cats I've told about you, they always look at me like I'm deranged for it, but...they'd get it if they knew the Scarlett I know."

Scarlett's pelt felt hot, and she passed it off as it just being due to the sun – despite the fact is was mostly cloudy and the sun was blocked out at the moment. "Listen, Khan...I've been thinking about it, and I...I wanted to ask and see if you'd like to come with us."

The tom blinked in surprise. "Really–? I mean...don't you have a policy about cats who leave?"

Scarlett smiled crookedly. "Yes...but your 'exile' wasn't justified, nor my decision. So I'll...I'll pardon it."

Khan arched a brow, the corner of his lip starting to twitch up in amusement. But then he glanced away and it turned into a grimace. "I don't know, Scarlett...I've got all I need here. And I don't want to spend so much time trying to prove I'm loyal enough to live amongst all of you comfortably."

"You wouldn't have to," she denied. "Not for long, anyway. Frankly, they've nothing but benefited from your presence. And I doubt you're as content as you claim."

Khan's gaze quickly flicked over to her, arching a brow. "Oh?"

"Those catmint-heads seem to annoy you more than give you any reason to look at them fondly," she said pointedly. "When they were playing 'spin the bottle' to see who gets to go sleep in the 'captain's' lap all day, you looked like you were about ready to choke them."

Khan snorted. "Because it was the wrong game, and I don't see why that's what they spun for – they hate going near that flatface," he scoffed, shaking his head. "But that's beside the point."

Scarlett scoffed exasperatedly, "Khan, there's two sides a cat can live. Pampered as much as prodded at living amongst two-legs, sitting pretty in a conventional life, or you can live free amongst others who will be there for you if you're there for them."

"Scarlett, I admire you and the position you've taken, to be looking out for a cluster of cats who'll probably give you nothing but complaints. To be willing to go to any length for them," he paused. "And I get it, but I rather like knowing I won't have to worry about what I'm eating tonight. I don't need to see any other side of it...thank you for the offer, but I'm good as I am. I'll leave that up to you," he said, gesturing to the city ahead.

Scarlett wasn't letting go of it though. She stood. "Are you really? Living amongst miserable cats each day? The same routine, constantly there, likely to bore you at any moment?" The ebony feline slunk her way around him to his other side.