Chapter Two

"There," Charlotte says as she strokes the makeup brush across my cheek. 

I smiled up at her and then looked in the mirror. I told her she could do my makeup however she wanted for the ball. She did it every year and never seemed to disappoint me. 

"I love it, thank you Charlotte," I say and run my fingertips through my hair, bringing the strand behind my ear. 

"I just need to curl your hair and then you can get into the dress," She says and starts my hair. 

"Lovely." 

-

I slip the blush pink dress over my head and slide my arms into the lace sleeves. The material of the dress bunches at my waist and cascades down in a formal ballgown style. I ran my fingers through the loose curls on my head and looked at myself in my mirror. 

"Beautiful!" Charlotte says with excitement and hands me a pair of black heels.

"Thanks, Charlotte," I say and put the shoes on. 

"We better head downstairs, your father's been waiting a while," She says and I nod. 

I meet my father's gaze and he smiles widely. 

"You look just like your mother, beautiful," he says and opens the door to the garage. 

"I'm sure mom would have loved to see us both," I say and hug him before we get into the car. 

"I know darling, let's head to the event." 

The car pulls up to the large building, it's just a huge ballroom with a stage that people have parties in, we have our charity ball here every year.

I hold onto my father's arm as we walk into the building. The room was full, not a single child on site though. There were women in fancy dresses and men in nice suits. 

"I need to go great some of the guests, you'll be alright?" He asks and I nod, withdrawing my grip on his arm. 

"I'll be alright, I'm going to go get something to drink," I kiss his cheek and walk off to the tables of food and drinks.

I pour myself a glass of red wine and take a sip. Wine was the only thing my mother would allow me to drink that was alcohol was wine. She said since it made me look classy she liked it. 

"Well hello there beautiful," A man says and pours himself some wine. 

I look up and find a man with blonde short hair and hazel eyes, his jawline was very defined.

"Hello," I reply and sip my wine. I wasn't really interested in him, but he was a source of entertainment since my father ditched me. 

"And who did you come with, pretty lady?" He asked and moved a piece of hair behind my ear. Ew. 

"My father, Eric Roberts," I say and finish off my wine, pouring another glass. 

"Eric Roberts, you mean your his daughter, Paisley?" He asks and takes a step away from me. 

"Yep that is me, and you are," I ask and turn to the table to grab a grape from one of the various fruit trays. 

I look back to him and he's gone. Weird. 

I take my glass of wine and find Charlotte at a table near the stage, she's sitting with her boyfriend, Ralph. 

"Who was that guy talking to you?" Charlotte asks and I shrug.

"Don't know, wouldn't tell me his name," I say and take a sip of my wine.

"Huh, that's Cory Stone, I wouldn't think your father would invite him, but I guess he did," Ralph says and leans back into his seat, staring off toward the corner of the room. I follow his gaze and my eyes lock onto a pair of green eyes, my heart flutters, and I can't explain why. 

Cory is frantically telling green eyes something, green eyes just nods and walks away from Cory. Cory turns to look over at me and I give a brief wave. He shakes his head and walks after green eyes.

"That's weird," Charlotte says and Ralph agrees. 

"Probably just too stunned by my beauty," I joke and they both let out a small laugh, but still seem hung up on the situation. 

"Attention! Can I have everyone's attention? I'd like to begin this charity ball by, of course, stating the charity we will be donating this year. We will be donating to the following companies and organizations," He says and I drown out his speech and look around the room. 

Green eyes and Cory are nowhere to be seen. 

"I'd like to say one last thing before I leave the stage, I'd like to just say a few words for my lovely daughter, Paisley, you have brought me so much joy and happiness, I love you and I pray one day you find true happiness," he says and I smile up at him. He raises his glass and takes a sip.

Everyone claps and he smiles and nods to the crowd, everyone quiets as they wait for him to leave the stage to begin their talking, he always said it was to show respect. He takes his step off the stage and the screams are all I hear next as my ears begin to ring. 

I watch as he lets out a scream and his body hits the steps and slides down to the floor. My heart is racing, but my mind won't think, my body won't move. I watch with my mouth hung open and Charlotte and Ralph rush for my father, but I can't move. 

Another gunshot sends me out of my body and I rush to my father. I shove Charlotte out of the way and collapse to the ground, the sobs already leaving my body. My hands shake as I grab my father's hand. 

"I love you," he lets out with a rough breath. 

"No, no, no, don't say it like you're about to die," I yell and look down, his blood has soaked into my dress. 

"Paisley, you need to move, we need to stop the blood flow," Ralph says and I shake my head, holding onto my father's hands. 

"Paisley," Charlotte says. 

"No! I said no!" I scream as sobs rack through my body. 

"I've got her," A man says and lifts me off the ground. I kick and scream, staring down at his body. 

"Please," I whisper and thrash in his arms. He falls to the ground, with me on his lap, his arms wrapped around my waist trapping me in his grip. 

"Dad," I whisper.