Chapter 42

Nat and I sat on the nearby bench while Faye played. A few kids surrounding her trying to get her to join them on the monkey bars. I felt guilt eat away knowing I haven't had the same connection with Faye as I did before. I couldn't imagine her confusion as I went from her teacher to a woman in the same bed as her uncle. It made me feel dirty.

     "When is he supposed to be here?" Nat asks impatiently.

      "In an hour or so. He's grabbing us lunch as a payment for me helping," I remind her. Nat huffs rolling her eyes.

      "I still don't see why you are helping him. He hurt you all those years ago," Nat mentions. My gaze stays focused on the rubber chipped playground.

        "It was years ago, Natalia. He needs help finding his child," I reply. Nat sips her coffee while giving me the side eye. Her skeptical gaze on me waiting for me to say more.

         "Why does it have to be you? The cops can help him can't they?" Nat asks.

            "Clarissa is a tricky case. The police won't be able to track her. If she's using drugs then there's only a few places she would be," I confess. Nat leans forward staring at me.

"What are you trying to say? Why would you know where she is?" Nat asks slowly.

"Because I'm the one that was with her when she did the drugs," I say. Nat nearly shoots off of the bench. She presses her hands to her temples stressed.

"Did you do drugs?" Nat asks immediately.

"I only smoked pot. I didn't do anything worse than that. This was when we were practically in college!" I exclaim. Nat sighs to herself collapsing back onto the bench.

"So she's possibly at one of these locations? Can't you just give him the locations?" she asks.

"I could, but what if she's not there? I should visit to make sure she's there," I think.

"Absolutely not!" Nat protests. I look away hearing the giggle of innocent children.

"I could give you a description of her. You could go looking for her then. But you shouldn't be in there either Nat," I remind her. Nat struggles to come up with an argument.

"You're pregnant. It's not worth going in the house. Give him the locations. He can get a buddy to go with him. Get the police involved!" Nat explains.

"What if they don't find her?" I ask nervously. Flashes of that night pass through my mind quickly. The sight of the body on the floor. I shudder to myself wrapping my cardigan around my body.

"Why do you think you owe him so much? You still haven't given me a good reason," Nat concludes.

I breathe in sharply, "I caused Clarissa to overdose."

Nat exhales loudly, "how?"

"She had me pick up drugs for her. I got them from the wrong dealer. I didn't know what the drugs were. They were sealed and I thought it was marijuana. I owe Trevor this much, to find his child. I want Clarissa to get help," I confess. My hands shaking slightly. Nat's face turns sympathetic.