Chapter Seven

James POV:

I wake up on Saturday with a massive headache. Not from a hangover, but from getting zero sleep last night. I was up all night, tossing and turning, thinking about last nights events. After I told Mason that I would drive her home, I went up to the VIP Lounge. Chase and I spend most of the time in the lounges when we go to his clubs this way he can keep an eye on everything and I can avoid the crazy girls and loud noise. I think back to last nights events and my mood immediately sours.

I head upstairs and go to grab my jacket and keys when my phone starts buzzing in my back pocket. I pull it out and see my father's name flashing across the screen. I take a deep breath trying to calm down before answering the phone. "Hello father."

"Hello James. How are you?" To anyone that might sound like a normal greeting from father to son, but knowing him like I do, it is his way of asking how the business is doing. He hasn't truly cared for my well being after my mom left. The only reason he didn't leave abandon me as well, was because he needed an heir for the company.

"I'm fine, but you have never cared about that. The company is doing fine. We are higher than we have ever been in profits and bookings."

"You know that isn't true. I care about you." I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Anyways, I was calling to tell you that I am coming back from traveling abroad. I will be coming to the company to monitor your progress and see how it is being run."

"Why? Do you not trust that your SON is running the company to your expectations? I have done more with the company than you did, and the employees are thriving. No thanks to you. You left me alone to learn how to run the company alone." I am fuming at this point.

"I did not leave you alone. I left my PA to help you."

"That is exactly my point. You had someone else teach me how to run YOUR company. Who does that? I haven't heard from you in two years, with the exception of a happy birthday text or a Christmas card. So let's keep this relationship professional only, because that is clearly the only reason you still speak to me." And I hang up the phone. I pinch the bridge of my nose, a habit I haven't been able to break. I take a deep breath and grab my stuff before going downstairs.

~~~~

I had such a good time with Mason last night. A smile appears on my face when I think about her. She is so damn easy to talk to and lights up the room when she walks in. I laugh when I remember the "game" we played yesterday. I told her it was a game, but I really just wanted to hear her comebacks. And they did not disappoint. Yes, but then you screwed it all up by snapping at her, my conscious tells me. Sh*t. I was so caught up in being angry with my father, I took it all out on her. Now she definitely thinks I am an a*sshole and, even worse, all the progress I made last night to get her to talk to me went straight down the drain. Her nickname suits me. I am a jerk. I have been to everyone except Chase since I was a kid. She was the only other person who didn't piss me off. She was the only other person I wanted to be nice to.

I hear the door open and see Chase walk into my penthouse. "Well you are up, so why didn't you answer when I knocked. Or called. I let myself in." Apparently I was too caught up in my thoughts of Mason, that I didn't hear the knocking on my door. But I will never tell Chase that. "Sorry man, I guess I didn't hear you." "Of course not. What's up? You look horrible." I tell him about the phone call with my father. "So he is coming back to basically micromanage my company," I tell him. He looks at me, speechless for a moment. "I- wow. You had every right to flip out on him, but maybe you could've handled it better? Also, I am your best friend. That isn't the only thing going on." He knows me so well. So I tell him about what happened with Mason.