𝟏𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐤

FIGHT OR FLIGHT
Chapter Thirteen: The Wreck

This was the first time Davina Tenny had stepped into The Wreck since the last time she was working which was right before the storm. Mr. C, Kiara's dad and Davina's boss, had asked her to take a break after the storm and go back to work after Midsummer. Kie's family had always made sure Davina was safe since Kie was her best friend. They were there at Davina's worst times and Davina couldn't have been more grateful.

To add on to that, the Carrera family knew Davina's mom since she used to work at The Wreck before Davina. So everything had always been set in stone with the families. Davina didn't understand why Mr. C took her out of her job until Midsummer since Davina wasn't hurt. But Mr. C just told her that he would much rather have Davina with her mom than working. Davina felt guilty since, after the storm, Davina was barely even home.

The group entered the restaurant, the scent of all the fresh food cooking hitting them. By the counter, Davina noticed Mr. C so she waved and smiled.

"Hi, dad!" Kie greeted, Mr. C sending Davina a smile but the smile soon disappear when his eyes wandered over to the rest of the group.

"Hey," He replied.

"How'd we do?" Kie asked as the group continued to walk, Davina and Kie stopping in front of Kie's dad while the boys walked over by the seats.

"Didn't turn it over once," Mr. C answered and Davina frowned.

"It's probably just bad luck because of the storm," Kie gives his dad a tight hug, Davina awkwardly standing behind them.

"Yeah, I'll be sure to tell the banks that," He sarcastically says. "Hi, Tenny," Mr. C greeted, Davina's smile growing as he pulls away from Kiara to give his almost-second-daughter a side hug.

"Hi, Mr. Carrera," She mumbled, pulling away and not missing the way she called him by his full last name.

"How are you? Haven't seen you in a while? You takin' you're little break to take care of your mom?" He fires questions at her, Davina getting nervous.

"I- I'm good, thank you," She nervously chuckled. "And my mom just kinda goes to work for the day and comes back at night so I don't really see her much," Davina replied, leaving out the part that she's also gone most days. Mr. C nods and Davina's eyes brighten. "Can I start working before Midsummer?" She asked, Mr. C glancing between the two girls.

"What did your mom say?" He asked and she shrugged.

"Well, it's my job, I didn't really think she had a say in it," Davina whispered.

"You're sixteen, Davina, don't you want to live your life a little?" Davina did want to live a little, but with a single mom who works most of her days, she just wanted to help. They were silent for a minute, Kiara finding the situation painfully awkward. "Davina, your mom was the one who requested your break," Davina's eyes furrowed at the confession.

"What?" Kie was the one to ask, Davina still keeping eye contact with Mr. C.

"She talked to my wife and said that she didn't like the fact that you work for her," Davina still didn't say anything. "So please, treat this break for yourself and don't let your mom feel less than what she is," Davina didn't reply since Mr. C wouldn't have understood.

Davina's mom had never wanted Davina to work and she was more than clear about that. But she let Davina. Now that Davina had found that her mom feels less because her daughter has to work for her, she had a pit in her stomach that not only made her angry but sad. Her mom was the reason she had a break from her job and it was all pity from the Carrera's. Davina didn't like that.