01 SHINOBU | A Caterpillar From The Past

01 | Shinobu Kochou's

𝙰 𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝
( Part 1 ), @AffableKonchou

They say that for a young caterpillar to undergo metamorphosis, in order for it to turn into a stunning and beautiful butterfly, it 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘦𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 itself first. And by the means of 'changing', it 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵 no matter how grim and terrible it is.

For it to move forward, it must be inclined onto acknowledging whatever that had happened in the past.

𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚, of course, starts within one's heart. You cannot change what's going on around you if you cannot change what's going on 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏 you. The consideration of it should be disposed within oneself.

However, 𝑺𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒐𝒃𝒖 𝑲𝒐𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒖 here, is a caterpillar whom had secluded herself behind those walls of her past. Yes, she's a caterpillar whom still hasn't accepted that particular event that no longer existed in reality per se.

Up to now, she's carrying the invisible burden of her sister, Kanae's, death. She would not grow if she kept on clinging onto her hopeless hatred towards the demon who had taken her sister's life. She would not turn into a butterfly, if she kept on mourning over her dead sister.

Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with grief itself. In reality, all of us will grieve forever, all of us will not get over the loss of our loved ones. But it is important to keep in mind that grief, as well as hatred, 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘢 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭𝘺.

With how soft and pleasing her voice resonated, as well as the typical genuinely sweet smile that she is always emitting, undoubtedly emphasized how affable and friendly Shinobu is to everyone else.

But in truth, her initial claim of 'wanting to be friends with demons' was just a mask utilized for hiding her atrocious detestation towards them.

Deep within the haze of her violaceous-gradient optics querly reflected her objective for being a Pillar in the Demon Slayer Corps— that is, to seek vengeance. And no one could possibly have an accurate discernment regarding to what her heart truly bellows.

Fatally injured, an unexplainable pain was spiraling helplessly all around her limbs. She couldn't move anymore, and wasn't planning on fighting too. This is where the crestfallen caterpillar met her fate, to die on the hands of the same demon who had killed her sister.

It is true that strips of worthful and memorable recollection of the summary of your life will flash to you in an instant when death is about to introduce you to your end. An evocative sentimentality of her past vividly surpassed the thought of her sacrificing her life, strongly indicating her authentic desire to give the demon the retribution he deserves.

As she slowly was being absorbed into the body of the Upper Moon Two, her thin and supple brims still managed to traject upwards, conveying a bona-fide smile despite being held captive in her current state. Although her insect-like hues completely had betrayed her longing desire, a pearl-shaped desolate tear escaped in a perturbed manner. In quietude did she try to hold onto these heavy tears in silence, lips now quivering to stifle a sob as the fear of death slowly was torturing her supposed serene mind.

Perhaps, she should refer it as a 𝒑𝒚𝒓𝒓𝒉𝒊𝒄 𝒗𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚; victorious in a way, but inflicted a devastating toll in exchange. For her to be greeted with a strong sense of accomplishment, Shinobu has to offer her life for it to happen.

Before ending this solo, I have one question to ask of you.

𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚊 𝚋𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚕𝚢?

It's quite simple. . .

You must learn to forget and recreate yourself.

You must forget that you were a caterpillar first, for you to reveal the butterfly in you.

If nothing ever changed, then, there would be no such things as butterflies at all.

Metamorphosis has become a great symbol and an important process of change. Do you think that the caterpillar (Shinobu) managed to evolve into a beautiful butterfly before her life was taken from her?

May 08, 2020.

[ Author's Note ]

P. S. I am also working on a new AU Demon Slayer Fanfiction wherein all of the Hashiras/Pillars are prosecutors and lawyers. Chapter 1 will be posted soon!

xx