Through Highs & Lows: chapter 9

During lunch juniors and seniors can go out for lunch as long as they come back and their parents sign a paper allowing it at the beginning of the year. So Kat and I showed the security our school IDs then went to her car in the student parking lot. We just sat in her car and I explained the situation to her. I could feel the pit in my stomach become stronger, along with the urge to cry, but I refused to let it out. I know Kat could see that because she just pulled me into a tight hug. We didn't say anything. We didn't have too, she understand exactly how I was feeling, without me having to say it. I was really thankful for that right now, because at this very moment if I so much as open my mouth a sob may come out instead of words. "I know." Kat says rubbing my back. We just sit there until I feel the feelings start to ease up a bit. We go back to the actual campus and meet the boys at the tables, like we said we would. We walk over and I can hear there conversation as we approach them. "I mean she's pretty I guess, but I don't really know her." Sam says. "Well I think she's beautiful." Colby smiles. I sit down next to him, as Kat sits next to Kat. "What are you guys talking about?" I ask, praying that it's not Ariana. "Colby's new date to prom." Sam says wiggling his eyebrows. Of course they were. I feel the pit of sadness almost consume me for a moment. I put my head down and start breathing, trying to calm down, before I cry. "Hey you okay?" Colby asks, while draping his arm around me and rubbing my arm. "Yeah just a headache." I try to say in a relaxed tone, but I know the last part came out kind if shaky. "I have Advil in my car. We can go get it." Kat says covering for me. I remove Colby's arm from my shoulders and turn to the other side of me before getting up. I'm sure my eyes were now red, because I can feel the tears on the edge of my water line, waiting for me to let them fall. I just start walking and let Kat catch up so Colby doesn't see me. We don't even walk to her car we just walk. Didn't matter where, just around the school and away from the thought of it. "Kat thanks for being my best friend." I say, stopping and hugging her. Tears run down my face as she hugs me back and my head lays on her shoulder. "Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way." She says. Kat pulls away and I honestly wasn't ready to let go of her, but I did. She pulls out her phone and does something before putting the phone to her ear. "Who are you calling." I half whisper, unable to probably speak from the strain in my throat. "Hello." She says over the phone, ignoring my question. "Mom. Are you home?" She says. "My mom or yours?" I ask. "Hold on" she says to one of our moms over the phone. "Come on were going home." Kat says. I don't even ask anything else, just nod my head. We start walking to the office as Kat stays on the phone with her mom. "Yeah. It's an emergency Caroline is talking. I just need you to tell them your okay with us leaving." Kat says, before going quite. I assume she's listening to what, I think is her mom has to say. "Here." Kat says handing me the phone. "Mom." I say in a broken voice, feeling pathetic, knowing what I'm a mess over. "Baby. Are you okay?" Kat's mom responds. Yeah I'm just ready to leave for now. I promise I'll have Colby get whatever work I have for today." I let out. "That's my baby." She lightly laughs, making the smallest of smiles appear on my face. That's big progress considering, what I'm feeling though. "Listen I texted your parents so they know. I just hope your okay and I'll have some tea or something waiting when you get home." She says. "Thank you." I say, my voice cracking. "Of course. You can hand the phone to Kat now. I'll see you soon." She says in a soft voice. I do as asked and hand the phone to Kat. "Okay mom. I love you too. Thank you. Bye." Kat says before hanging up. "She said she'll just calk the office and excuse us so we can just leave." Kat says turning to me, as we approach the office.