Chapter 1: Prologue

Mafuyu's P.O.V.~

It's been a year. Exactly one year since I gotten into a car accident because I was arguing with my parents which made them not focus on the road and crash into another speeding car. Luckily, no one died but I am unable to play Volleyball like I used to since I'm not supposed to do hardcore exercising.

"Mafuyu-Chan," Kageyama-Kun called out to me, snapping me out of my trance. "Stop spacing out. We are already at the gym."

"O-Oh, right.." I looked down at my clipboard which showed the matches that our school, Kitagawa Daiichi, were playing against. "Umm... We are against Yukigaoka.?"

"Who's that?" An arrogant second year sneered. "They should've just forfeited because we don't even know they exist."

"That's rude of you." I bonked the kid in the head with my clipboard. "We just never heard of them since they're a newly created team but we shouldn't underestimate them, nevertheless."

"It's coming from you though?" He looked down at me, his eyes clearly laughing at me. "Coming from a fallen Ace?"

My mouth tried to form words, but my voice seemed as if it was magically taken away. I knew what I wanted to say, but something inside of me was holding me back.

"Hey, instead of yammering crap, go warm up." Kageyama ordered, glaring menacingly at him and the second year quickly went to start stretching. He then sighed and patted my shoulder. "You should speak up for yourself more."

"It's funny you think I haven't." I sighed, and sat on the bench where the coach was already at. There really wasn't much for me to do except tell the team to do their best, even if majority of them aren't even putting the effort to play since no one really listens to me here. The only thing I really noticed in the game was that in the first match we had, the little orange hair boy on the other team seemed to be able to jump super high, which was quite amazing considering his height.

   We finally made it to the final match, but it seems as if our team had just about had it with Kageyama's attitude. Kageyama was being a bit too harsh on them, however, none of them were putting the effort to actually play properly. 

   "Kageyama, we need to bench you." The coach said as we pulled them out for a time out. "You aren't working with anyone else and you're just making us look bad."

    "Sir- With all due respe-" I attempted to voice my opinion but the coach glares at me, making me hide my face behind my clipboard.

    "You can't bench me!" Kageyama protested loudly. "You guys need me to set."

    "You cam set, but no one's there to receive it." The coach laughed. "You're off."

   I watched as Kageyama's shoulders began to tremble with anger, but I couldn't do anything to help him except gave him a small pat on the back.

    "That's what he gets for acting like an egocentric king." One of the other third years on the team smirked as he said this. "How can we win with someone as demanding as him?"

   I could feel my eyes shape turn into a glare. It was one thing to talk crap about me, but to insult someone who's been working hard for his team for the entire time?

    "Shut up." I realized the whole gym had turned quiet and everyone had turned to face me. "Shut your filthy mouth and finish the game. You think you can win without him? Fine. But you should know, he has been carrying your backs this entire time. It's about time for you garbage to know your place."

   With that, I sat back down, next to a confused looking Kageyama, who kept peering at me.

   "What?" I snapped at him. "You're the one who told me to speak up if I had something in mind."

   "Yeah, I did but I didn't expect you to stand up for me." He replied, looking away bashfully. "..Thanks."

  "Don't mention it." I said. "We're sort of close, aren't we? Friends should stick up for each other."

   "Yeah, they do."

   We ended up losing the game, just as I expected. I even received a long lecture for bad mouthing the players, but at this point, I didn't even care. I made a friend who loves volleyball even more than me, which is why I let him convince me to join the same high school as him.

   "You sure about this?" I looked over to the tall boy as we stood in front of Karasuno High School, who just smiles back at me.

   "Yeah, definitely."

————————————————————

    Welcome to my special "Oh, I'll upload another new book per year!" Book! My updates will be infrequent due to my schooling times and other updates for other books. (Please note that I am following the manga rather than the anime)

   This book is dedicated to Winnie and Gabriel! _LisaNguyen_ also made the cover of this book, so thank you so much!

Anyways, I hope to see y'all in the next chapter~!^.^*