Chapter Four

Kenechukwu woke up in daze. He already knew how his morning would look like, he'd go downstairs and Somadina would try to convince him to go to the village with her. He'd say nothing. There was really nothing he could say, he had said it all. He wasn't going anywhere to pay homage to a god he didn't believe in, a god he didn't care for. But it was almost as if Somadina had been programmed to tell him every time she saw him that they had to the go back to the village. He hadn't been there in a long while and suddenly, his village people cared about him enough to request his presence. He'd think not.

The major problem wasn't the village people or Somadina's constant nagging, it was her inability to leave. He had tried, dragged her out his house, which in all honesty wasn't a gentlemanly thing to do and heck Pam had been surprised to see him dragging someone out of his house, but he asked no questions. But then the second he stepped into his house, Somadina was there with a bottle of Fanta in her hand, and like the first time he saw her, Kenechukwu felt irritated.

It was Zikachi that bothered him the most. He had told her about Somadina and she had been pissed to hell. Which he totally understood, he wouldn't be pleased if a man were to permanently be unable to leave Zikachi's house. But Zikachi didn't care about the gods or Somadina's inability to leave, she just cared about Somadina still being in the house. And yesterday, after church service the pastor had expressed his disappointment in Somadina's presence in his house. He just wished they'd understand the complications of the entire matter.

Kenechukwu sighed and got out of bed. Today was a Monday, and according to Somadina, his period of grace expired today. She had stomped into his room and warned him to follow her to the village. Kenechukwu had politely declined. He had found out that arguing with Somadina only gingered her to keep asking him to return to the village.
He went through his morning routine, feeling very stressed. He wasn't able to speak with Zikachi yesterday, her number was turned off and he knew it had something to do with Somadina.
Kenechukwu walked downstairs dressed in a grey suit. He had never been one to complain about Mondays, but he'd be pretty unique to not admit how horrible this Monday was. Somadina was pacing before the stairs, her left hand massaging her right wrist. Kenechukwu could almost imagine what she wanted to say and he knew it would start with her calling his first and last name.

On seeing him, Somadina stopped pacing and looked at him as he walked down the remaining stairs. Once on the last one, Kenechukwu walked past her, and she looked after him before trailing behind him.

"Kenechukwu Nwodo, your period of grace expires today."

"I know," he said and walked into the sitting room.

"Are you sure we understand this period of grace thing similarly? What I mean is there's no grace today. Simply put, you could very well die today."

"I won't."

"How are you so calm?"

"God's on my side."

"You think this whole thing is going to be hard."

Kenechukwu headed for the door, he didn't want to hear any more of this whole gods thing. Surely, Somadina had to be tired of constantly having this conversation. She was beginning to sound like a broken record. Soma ran ahead him and blocked his path both her arms extended. He groaned.

"Listen to me Kenechukwu Nwodo, I don't think you understand how simple it is for them to ruin you. It's a matter of calling your name three times and blowing powder in the air. Don't be mad."

"Somadina, I appreciate your concern, I really do. But you'll see, God won't let that happen. I'm a child of God."

"Kenechukwu Nwodo, don't try yourself. Don't be another Beatrice Anyawu. You'll lose your property and-"