Episode 14: To the Capital

We left Eterna City after a few days when the snowstorm passed and my orders for the repairs and reinforcements were ready. By the time we left the city, the road was covered with a foot of snow with chilling winds blowing against our face. The snow and the wind made it hard for us to walk and the sun is not helping us get warm anyway. During the day, the sun would melt the top of the snow in some areas but not in other areas. I can take a step and my foot will sink into the snow and when I take another step, my foot will be like stepping on top of hard ice. Sometimes, my foot will feel the ground as solid but when I take a step, it is as if the ground suddenly opened up, almost causing me to fall in surprise. Nighttime was a different story. Before the sun sets, the soldiers have to prepare the wood for the fire and get the tents ready. The men also have to hunt and gather food for the people and they cannot wander around too far or else they will get lost. When the sun begins to set, the fire has to be put up with a cover to help keep the fire alive as the wind at night is harsher than during the day. Once the tents are set, blankets will be put on the ground under the sleeping bags to keep the soldiers from freezing to death at night. The horses also have to have a blanket over them for warmth. The wind at night will freeze the snow that had melted in the morning, which causes the ground to be slippery in the morning when we wake up and the cycle continues. Sometimes when we reach a town or city at night, we would be able to sleep in warm beds, have a nice meal, and take a refreshing bath.

I never liked to lead a mission around this time. Unlike the rest of the soldiers, I can handle a bit of cold and the ground. However, for the men and the horses, they were unable to catch up. They were all well trained but that is not enough for them to be walking on the snow with no problem. We had to make constant stops and march at a slow pace so no soldier got left behind or slipped. I can see that the soldiers were tired of the march and the snow but I can see their determination and their bravery to continue moving. I guess that is what keeps me leading them to victory.

It was close to sunset as I watched the soldiers begin their evening routine. A dozen soldiers went to gather wood while another dozen went to gather food. Some started to help set up the tents for the night while the others secured the supply carts and the horses. I was helping the men to secure the horses and the supplies while checking our supplies, especially the food supplies, and see how much they can last. After I had checked with everything, I went to check the tents and help out with the soldiers who are still setting things up. That night, after the fire was set, the soldiers got the food out from our supplies and cooked the food they gathered. Multiple fire camps were being made and each soldier went to eat and sit with their own group. I sat with my men for a while to eat before I got full and left them be. No soldier can feel free when their superior was sitting with them, no matter how close the connection is. I sighed as I went to my tent to rest.

There were no clouds in the sky that night. It was clear and I saw the bright stars that were shining above with the full moon shining brightly. From my tent, I can hear the cheers and the laughter of the men as they eat their dinner and tell stories. I can hear that they were encouraging each other and comforting each other with their tales and their jokes. They are trying to be optimistic. With every mile closer to the capital, everyone will feel nervous, unease, and excitement. I can also hear the howls of the wind and the animals that were awake on this cold winter night.

In my tent, I take out a piece of paper before and write a letter to Louis. We haven't talked to each other for a long time and it always seems as if Louis was busy. I send Staraptor away with the letter before I put everything away and play with the communication crystal in my hands. I forgot what that crystal did since no one had called me with it for a long time. It seems everyone was busy with the war and seemed to be getting closer to the end and my friends were getting ready to be crowned as the Crown Prince or Princess.

Luciel suddenly walked into my tent, surprised me as I quickly put on my earring again. These days, Luciel always went missing, disappearing and appearing out of nowhere. I never knew where he had been nor did he tell me where he had been. We were still close but it seems as if we were not as close as we used to be.

"Good evening, Little Guardian. Missed me?" Luciel asked as he walked in before taking a seat. "I heard from a little birdie that you had not eaten a lot this evening again."

I sighed. "Luciel, what are you doing?"

Luciel chuckled before he used his right hand to support his face as he tilted his face and looked at me. "Little Guardian, answer my question before I answered yours."

"I am not hungry," I replied.

"And I am worried about you," Luciel smiled.

"What is it that you want?" I asked tiredly.

Luciel looked at me before he started to laugh. "Look at you! All grown up now," Luciel said as he rubbed my head, making my hair messy.

"Get to the point," I said as I shook off his hand.

Luciel stopped laughing. "You are no fun as you grow older. It is okay. Who told me to become your guardian? Now getting to business. I had sent my kin to the palace. You cannot believe what your father had decided. He wanted to send that brother of yours to the battlefield for the last battle to lead."

"That is new and not unexpected. I had gained power in the military and I had my own army while my brother had the nobles backing him up. I can be seen as a threat to him as I get more power in the military and as generals begin to back me up," I said.

"Exactly right, my Little Guardian. So what is your plan?" Luciel asked me with a smile.

Before I could answer, I heard footsteps running toward my tent before it stopped in front of it. "Sir, we had caught a suspicious person wandering around our camp," the person reported.

"Who are you calling suspicious! I am telling you, if I am in any way suspicious, I would not wander around with a dress, you blind man. Let me go!"

Luciel and I looked at each other as we looked back at the tent door. I sighed again. Why does that voice sound so familiar right now?