Chapter 8

It's been about a week since all of this started. I haven't talked to Charles that whole time, I haven't talked to anyone really. Charles comes in to tell me when my parents want me and I just nod and go down. My parents have tried to get me to talk but I just can't. I feel that if I do talk everything will come out. They haven't brought up Edward this whole week, either because they're not going through with it, or they're secretly doing it. I don't care though, I'll marry him if they really want me to.

"Your highness, it's time for breakfast," Charles says, opening my door. I take a moment to stare out the window before nodding and standing up.

I haven't thought about much, in fact, these days have gone by so fast that I haven't really had time to think. All I've been doing is staring out my window and sleeping. I don't really feel like doing anything else.

We walk down the hallway to the dining room. Charles is walking a few steps behind me and I'm not paying attention to him. A few times this week he tried talking to me, just small talk, but I don't care enough to answer.

I sit in front of my mother, breakfast already placed in the table.

"Good evening Y/N," Father says, giving a sad smile. I nod in response.

"We actually wanted to talk to you about something," Mother says, cutting into her food.

There's silence for a few seconds, I eat as they figure out how to phrase what they want to say.

Father clears his throat. "We haven't talked about it all week, because of.. well... obvious reasons." He shovels food into his mouth, getting a sigh out of Mother and forcing her to speak next.

Mother and forcing her to speak next.

"We need to talk about Prince Edward," Mother says. I nod. "We need to know if you want to marry him or not. His parents are coming today so we need to have an answer."

I shrug and swallow the food I was chewing. I opened my mouth for a second, closed it, and thought for a few seconds. Mother was staring intently at me, waiting for me to say something and Father was looking at his plate.

"I'll marry him, I don't really care anymore. It was going to happen anyways, this only shortens the process." I tell them. Charles coughs and I look at him out the corner of my eye. He's looking at the ground, there's no real emotion in his face, but I hope he feels pain. That's a horrible thing to say, but he's given me so much pain this past week, so I want him to feel some of that.

Mother looks astonished and Father stares at me, his eyes wide. Mother clears her throat. "Oh, well that's great news. I'm sure his family will be happy to hear it."

I push my plate away from me and stand up. "Yeah, I'm not hungry anymore." They don't say anything as I make my way out of the dining hall, Charles a few steps behind me.

When we get back to my room, I fully expect Charles to stand next to the door like he usually does, but he follows me into the room. I sit on my bed and stare out the window. Charles closes the door and sits right in front of me.

"What happened?" He asked. I felt my face scrunch up. What happened?

"You know exactly what happened. I'm done fighting, this was a useless fight in the first place." I answered. "Am I not allowed to give up?"

"I just think you shouldn't give up on getting to that person you love," He protested. I scoff.

"I tried that, nothing I could do would ever get me to him. He always puts walls between us, and I, for one, am absolutely sick of it!" I yell.