Chapter 3

Yukino, Sting, and Rogue all quietly listened to Mikal's story while Frosch and her cat friend chowed down on raw fish. By the time she finished revealing her past, everyone had already left the guildhall to their respective homes and apartments. No one said a word for awhile, and Mikal couldn't blame them; she wouldn't know how to respond if she was in their place. It felt nice to finally share her burden with someone. She had held it close to her heart ever since that fateful day.

Sting was relieved to hear that she wasn't involved with the war, fighting against his guild and his friends. He rested his chin on the palm of his hand as he processed what he heard.  She was deeply in love with Zeref.  He told himself that though Zeref was long gone from the world, he still had followers. Mikal could be one of them. Who knew what her real objective was. Sting warily eyed the filthy girl in front of him. Still, she doesn't seem evil in any way.  Her intentions are pure. She's kind hearted. He tilted his head enough to observe Rogue's reaction as if to say, "What do you think?"

Rogue was still deep in thought when he felt Sting's eyes on him. He raised his gaze from the table, to his best friend. "We can trust her." Those words were almost inaudible when Yukino suddenly spoke up.

"I'm sorry that happened to you, Mikal." She placed one of her hands over Mikal's, who flinched and immediately pulled her hand away as a precaution. "Does that mean the curse was broken when Zeref died?"

"I guess I didn't really clarify that. No, I still have it. I thought it would've broken if he died, but regardless, I am extremely thankful for the involvement of Fiore's guilds in the war."

"I think I speak for all of us when I say that you are welcome to stay here and join our guild if you'd like!" Yukino had a large grin plastered on her youthful face as she looked between Sting and Rogue. "Would you guys agree?" 

"I agree. You'd have support by staying here, even if it's just for a little while," Rogue nodded and smiled at Mikal. "Sting?"

Yukino wrapped her arms around Sting's and silently pleaded with her eyes. This caused Sting's ears and cheeks to redden, and he developed a shyness as he turned away from her gaze. "Fine," he lets out an exasperated sigh. "If you'd like, you can stay here and join. If not, I won't stop you."

"What do you think, Mikal? Could you at least stay for a little while?" Yukino turned to her once again.

"I'm sorry, thank you for the offer, but it'd be better if I didn't." Mikal stood from her seat, fearful of the past repeating itself. She couldn't get the image of Kylo writhing in agony out of her head. History repeats itself, I can't stay here. "I should get going." She starts for the door, which masks the terror on her face from the others.

"I'll show you the nearest hotel." Rogue follows after her.

"No, thanks. I can see myself out." Mikal was at the door now, turning the handle. She still heard Rogue's footsteps getting louder until he was right behind her. She closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and in the most intimidating voice possible, says, "I said goodbye." She whips around on her heels, and in the same instant hundreds of six inch fiberglass needles protruded from her skin to act as a barrier from human contact.

"Woah," Rogue stopped in his tracks before he walked right into them. His eyes were wide with awe, but he didn't ask about her abilities. Sting and Yukino were still seated, but Sting was at the edge of his seat, getting ready to cover Rogue's back if anything happened.

Mikal leaves the guildhall before anyone has the chance to stop her. It was dark now, with the only light coming from street lamps and the lit rooms inside of nearby buildings. She sighed as she looked up at the full moon above her, "What am I going to do, Kylo?"