Chapter 3-His return

13th June 1710 New Orleans

Over the past week, I have made sure to help the slaves as much as I possibly can. Whether that means giving them an opportunity to rest or giving them something to eat and drink. I have also helped out with the work on the field from farming to even wood chopping. Sir Abijah did give me instructions to supervise the work but he didn't mention that  I cant help. besides, he can't tell me what to do, he doesn't own me. He has also been gone for a whole week now on a "business" trip. This means that I am able to breathe freely without his constant yelling. 

That day, I was on the field as usual helping out by carrying wood to the other fence. All of a sudden, the person in front of me drops his wood on the floor and looks up into the distance. without hesitation, I bend down and help to pick up the fallen wood. 

"What is going on here! Lady Anne comes here this instant!" a voice yells from a distance.

A voice that can be no other than Sir Abijah. 

I stand there frozen to the spot, unable to move, to speak. Only his face makes me tremble in fear. Never have I met such a man, a monster. 

He begins to stride towards me, his eyes fixed on me.

Before I realize, he grabs me by my arm and drags me back inside the Manor. I'm thrown off balance as he barges towards me and pushes me down onto the armoire. 

"How dare you! Who do you think you are? I didn't give you permission to do that and what were you doing with those slaves? Are you crazy? That is not your job and you cannot waste my food and drink like that".

"But they are certainly exhausted and hungry. they are human too so why can't they be treated as such? Why do you have to be so cruel Sir Abijah?" I say staring directly into his eyes, hoping he will understand my view. 

"I think you have gone insane Lady Anne. they aren't human. they are here to work not to be served as some royalty or even a guest. Learn your place or like I said last week, there will be punishment, not only to you but ti the slaves as well".

"But-", I exclaim.

"No buts Miss Anne, you will do as I say, and don't you dare to talk back to me once more. I thought that after a week, you may have learned your spot and that you may have calmed down. I guess I have been proven wrong. Oh and also, I think I have forgotten to mention, in 3 days we will be getting married. I can not afford to waste any more time and perhaps you will learn some manners if we push this along".

Three days? That's so soon and I despise that man. Why would I want to marry such a savage? I'm not going to agree under any circumstances. He can't think that he is in charge of me, I am my own person, I don't need any man to order me around.