[RANDOM] Vocal Analysis: Dean

THE DROPOUTS's Dean

THE DROPOUTS's Dean

Voice type: Tenor

Vocal range: A2 - C6 (3 octaves and 3 semitones)

Supported range: C3 - G4/G#4

Pros:

- Most developed chest voice among the vocalists of The Dropouts

- Mixed voice is generally bright, which minimizes the strain as he goes higher

- Expansive vocal range

- Good musicality; can sing many genres

- Decent agility

Cons:

- Although support is consistent, he favors stylistic singing, resulting in airy tone that could potentially damage his voice in the long run

- Head voice is produced with good connection and placement but is still unsupported

- Due to the airiness of his voice, he sometimes struggles with vocal dynamics

- Tends to oversing

- Can be nasal as he goes higher

- Although smooth vibrato is achieved most of the time, it can be uncontrolled and really fast as he goes higher.

Chest voice: His most developed register. Low notes are produced with full tone and proper chord connection as low as C3. This can be heard in F3 in "All of Me", E3 in "Mga Batang Yagit", D3-C3 in "Stuck in the Moment". Below, he has a tendency to be airy with no true chord connection.

Mixed voice: His second most developed register. Support is carried up to G4, with some support at G#4. Above, he became tight (A#4 of "Stuck in the Moment") or shouty (A4 in "Total Eclipse of the Heart") or both (also the A4-C5 in "Total Eclipse of the Heart"). Sometimes, he also projects his voice through his nose, like in B4 in "Icarus".

Since he sings with airy tone, he has not yet shown a capability to produce resonant notes.

Head voice/Falsetto: His most overused yet also his least developed register. While Keaton normally belts at the climax, Dean usually resorts to enforcing his falsetto instead. Notable example is the piercing E5 in the demo version of "Stuck in the Moment", where he sang everything including Keaton's lines. His technique is considered bad and will definitely damage his vocal cords in the long-run. Thankfully, he rarely sings those live and tends to just focus on harmonizing with the other members.

The peak of his head voice, C6, was displayed on the high note challenge. It is half-screamed and really shrilled. But on lower notes, he could potentially support it if he focuses more on connecting his cords, instead of pushing more air. The most notable example can be observed at the acoustic version of "Stuck in the Moment" where he sang C5-E5 with a more relaxed and fuller tone, even if it is still not supported. He was also able to display operatic head voice in an Instagram live video with Keaton and Isaac, where he tried to sing the climax of "Phantom of the Opera".

Other notes:

- In terms of agility, he isn't that far from Keaton. His only issue is he lacks a clearer note separation and has a tendency to just glide instead.

- Dean is the most versatile among The Dropouts. He can sing many genres even outside the common materials of his group, like rock and latin music.

- Like the rest of THE DROPOUTS, he has a good ear for harmonizing. He usually handles the middle harmony, while Keaton does the belting. Isaac adds falsetto, while Ciel sings the lower harmony.

- Vibrato can be uncontrolled as he goes higher, especially on head voice. 

The Verdict:

Dean knows proper technique but he often resorts to stylistic singing instead. While it assists his artistic freedom, this bad habit can potentially damage his voice in the long run.

For improvement, he should learn proper placement and dynamic if he wants to achieve a loud and piercing voice. Or he could also learn from Keaton's habit of placing his head voice on the mask to minimize the strain.

Falsetto singing is not bad by any means but abusing it especially when you try to add volume through shouting. However, it sounds like he does it for style, so for improvement, maybe he should change his song formula in the future that requires no shouty falsetto.

Dean can also learn to support his head voice too, since, in this area, he is arguably better than Keaton.

Ratings: 3/7 (Above Average Vocalist)

DISCLAIMER: No copyright infrigement intended. Pictures are used for visual representation only.