4. Hatred

They were all out in the front yard. Kai was holding the ascendant in the air, looking like a weirdo. A smart weirdo.

"What are you doing, Kai?" Evie asked, getting bored. Although no one could see it, Kai smiled at the sound of his name coming from her mouth.

"Hopefully, you." He whispered and Damon, being the only one that heard him, growl. "Well, Princess, I'm looking for the exact right spot. We need to find where the power of the eclipse is focused."

"You know you could have just shown us the Ascendant to begin with." Bonnie said.

"Yeah, but I wanted to feel Evie's hand on my chest. I knew she'd figure out my hint."

Bonnie took a step closer to Evie and muttered, "There's something not right about him."

"You're just not used to guys hitting on Evie." Damon smirked.

"Well, she is my best friend's little sister." Bonnie argued. Here we go.

"Yeah, and she's my girlfriend's little sister!" Damon tried to one-up.

"Guys? 'She' is right here. For once, just stop arguing." Evie huffed. "And for the record, Elena is two years older, I'm not that little. And, Bonnie, you are literally dating my twin brother."

"I love when you take my side on things, Littlest Gilbert." Damon smirked, making Evie roll her eyes.

"You know, I can't wait to get out of here and talk to somebody else." The young girl commented.

"Can we just have a few lasting seconds of peace while this idiot uses that thing to get the stars to align?" Bonnie picked up one of Damon's many paper airplanes, unfolding it and reading it. "Hey, what's up with the nature walk?"

"I used the Ascendant to figure out where we need to be standing during the eclipse." Kai answered.

"Great. Let's do some magic and get the hell out of here." Getting even more bored, Evie walked up to Kai, standing next to him.

"Hey, is this gonna take much longer? I have a best friend to get back to." Evie questioned. She knew that Enzo would probably be trying to find a way to bring them back. He was like that: never gave up, read the rules, and tore them up, defied the fucking laws of gravity. The point is, he would do anything for the ones he loved, and he definitely loved Evangeline. (I guess Damon, too.)

"You're very impatient." Kai smirked. "I like a lady who knows what she wants and when she wants it." Evie sighed. It was clear she wasn't going to get a straight answer. "So, about what you said earlier...with the jam—"

"Yes, Kai. I meant what I said. I'm attracted to you because you're the first guy I've seen in months that isn't Damon. Sue me." She glared.

"Well, that's nice to know, Princess." He grinned, angering Evie a little.

"Family massacred in Portland. The only one missing was the oldest boy, a 22-year-old named Malachai." Bonnie read aloud.

"Who names a kid Malachai? It's like they expected me to be evil." Kai responded with a confused expression.

"Evie, get over here. Now." Damon ordered. For once in her life, Evangeline did what she was told. Normally she wouldn't have been scared, but she was human again. Kai could hurt her and that would be the end of it. Evie stood next to Bonnie, reading the paper for herself.

"All these kids were murdered!" Bonnie yelled in anger.

"Hello! Not everyone died. I had a soft spot for one of my sisters. Cause otherwise, I would've cut her lungs out, and not just her spleen." Kai said, as if he was making the situation better.