A Flute & A Key

After your slip of tongue you didn't even dare refer back to my family in anyway, it kind of put me at ease because I wouldn't have to try and repress old memories from bubbling up.

Coincidentally the day we had our never-ending date was the day before I had a big recital with the band. The same band recital you'd be going to watch as well. You see, your brother was in that band— come to think of it, that is where I'd first met him.

So because I'd spent the whole day trying to forget you and the date we'd had I nearly choked on the appetizer I had been scoffing down when you walked into the auditorium fully dressed in a tux. If it weren't for your brother clamping down on my back I would've turned purple in the face.

You approached me with a smile, truth is you were approaching both your brother and I but I'd like to think that you were approaching me with that fond look in your eyes. I didn't try to stand too long while you and your brother talked, I felt like I was eavesdropping so I moved backstage.

I remember how your eyes gleamed when those curtains were drawn, quiet peculiar that I was focused on you rather than the still empty seats I'd reserved for my mother and a little brother that would never come. The band's music was magnificent, every note wrapped itself around you and entranced you in the most sultry way. After three symphonies all at different keys the band was off the stage giving way for individuals to start playing.

Time ticked away as individuals performed and I waited backstage for my turn, I was the closing act. After all I did need a little time to switch from playing flute with the band to playing the piano alone. When it finally was time for me to perform I stood and smoothed down the frills of my dress as I was announced. I'd walked onto stage elegantly; shoulders back, back straight and head up. I sat, poised with one leg on the hold and the other crossed with it at the ankles. I delicately placed my fingers over the minor keys before I started playing. Swift finger co-ordination, a slight sway of my head and shoulders along to the music, soon enough I was done and the last note sounded throughout the auditorium before silence. Then the audience exclaimed in applaus and appraising phrases. I stood beside the piano before smiling and biding the audience goodbye before I stepped back and the curtains were drawn shut.

"Magnificent as always,"

I whipped around and there you stood in a tux that hugged your body in all the right places with a brilliant smile on your face. You stepped closer and revealed a bouquet of white roses from behind you.

"For You," you'd said, still holding that beautiful smile.

I took the flowers from you, thankful that you'd even seen me perform. Before we could say anything more my mom rushed up to me.

"Flawless as always," she complimented but it didn't mean a lot from her because she always was late for these things. She'd said to meet her outside as soon I was done with everything here.

Your eyes looked sad when she'd left and we were alone again. It was as if you knew my family more than you perseived.

"We can practically see most of the town from the rooftop, wanna go?" You'd suggested.

I'd take anything if it meant being around you for a while longer. The roof top was elegant, flower boxes along the railing and wooden floors with the view of our small little nowhere town.

We stayed there talking about anything and everything, it was mostly you asking questions about my music career and giving praises about my music.

"So your interest in music, is that your passion?"

"Not really," I said. "I have a passion for learning music but I dont think it's my passion," I elaborated.

"But you're most talented in it; the flute and piano, have you got anything up your sleeve?"