Two

chapter two.
bad state of mind

tw // this chapter contains some scenes

of date rape drugs being used

The morning after Hurricane Agatha hit, Sheriff Peterkin thought it would be the best idea to stick June with Shoupe and Plumb. At first, the pair was going to have an easy day of monitoring the island to make sure everything was alright.

They had yet to receive the call about Scooter Grubs yet. When they did, June was in the car that was the closest location he was known to be. Her day of boring car rides turned into a murder mystery as soon as her mom's voice flooded the radio.

The night before, June and her mom got in a pretty heated fight over the people she chose to hang out with. That lead to her attempting to sneak out, only to return not long after, drenched in water and shaking.

Her mom didn't say a word as she wrapped the stubborn teenager in a towel, changed her clothes, and made her a cup of tea. She sat with her until she fell asleep and waited until the next morning to present her punishment.

Spending a day with her deputies.

June expects the day to be filled with boring chitter-chatter and lulling jazz. Sure, the missing person adds a little spice but what really put the cherry on top is seeing Kiara and Pope duck behind the side of the building.

Not wanting to miss out on anything they are doing, June gets out of the car and leisurely walks over to where they were attempting to throw rocks.

"Okay, do something," She hears Kiara whisper-shout to Pope as they both look around for anything to throw.

June watches in amusement as Pope tried to throw a rock and misses the window, by a lot.

"Didn't you ever play baseball?" Kie questions, looking at Pope in wonder. June takes this as her chance to make her presence known.

"He is a mathlete," She informs Kiara, picking up a rock and throwing it at the window. It didn't hit it but at least she is closer than Pope.

The pair of pogues both let out small shrieks and whip around to see their friend picking up more rocks to throw. They let the tension out of their shoulders when they realize it was only June and not someone who would get either of them in trouble.

"What are you doing here?" Pope questions, his voice a higher pitch than it normally would be. June's presence set off his extreme anxiety about getting in any form of trouble.

"My mom's making me ride around with Shoupe and Plumb today because we got in a fight last night," June left it at that and continues to throw rocks with Kiara at the window. "What are you guys doing here?"