Chapter 1

The sky burned red with blood. Inuyasha could smell bodies burning and could hear the gurgling of demons choking to death on their own blood. His ears echoed with the screams from the dying and the war cries of those still fighting. Fallen demons and humans covered the valley as far as the eye could see. Inuyasha was filled with a need to find someone, but he did not know who. He searched the sea of faces, but only found terror and death everywhere he turned. He began to run aimlessly as the need to find that someone grew stronger. As he ran, a large demon monkey leaped at Inuyasha, smashing his staff over his head, knocking him face first into a pile of corpses. He caught himself staggered back to his feet as he shook himself back to his senses. That's when he recognized Shippo's pale, lifeless body, his throat cut, and his haori soaked with blood. Inuyasha felt as if the wind had been knocked out of him. He called out to Shippo in vain. "How could this have happened?" he questioned. He is slowly pulled from his grief by a voice calling him. He looks up as the voice gets closer. "Inuyasha! Inuyasha!" He locates the owner of the voice, a ways off ahead of him.

Koga, it's Koga. He is calling for me, he realized. Koga was running in his direction. Inuyasha rises to walk towards him, but before he can reach him a spear pierces Koga through his back and protrudes through his chest. Koga falls to his knees, blood gushing from his wound and mouth. "Inuyasha..." Koga coughs out before slumping to the ground. Inuyasha lets out an animalistic groan of anguish as he races towards his friend.

Just before he can reach him, he is transported to the top of a mountain. As he looks out, Inuyasha feels overwhelming hopelessness as he sees a battle raging leagues in every direction. "The world is burning," he says in disbelief. His horror is interrupted again by the instinctual need to find someone, but he can't remember who. Suddenly, he senses that he is not alone and turns to see who else is there. He sees a figure standing in the shadow of the trees. He cannot make out who it is but feels drawn to the figure.

"Who are you?'' He asks. "Why is this all happening?''

The figure does not respond. Inuyasha charges in desperation, "Tell me who you are!" Before he can make out who it is, the earth falls out from under him, sending him falling into the burning abyss below.

Inuyasha awakens in a cold sweat, panting. He looks up and begins to breathe easier as he sees Shippo sleeping peacefully on the branch above him. "It's just a dream. It's just a dream," he tells himself before believing it. He had been telling himself that every night for the last several weeks. Inuyasha had been haunted by this same dream every time he closed his eyes. The dreams were so vivid, so real. Inuyasha couldn't explain the sense of dread ever present within him since the first night he began seeing these images. He did his best to focus on anything else.

Realizing it was nearly dawn, he leapt from the tree to get some fish from the nearby river. He wanted breakfast prepared before Shippo woke up. He was the pack leader after all, so it was his job to provide for them.

So much has happened in the 75 years since Kagome returned to her own time. Sango and Miroku had been dead for more than 15 years now. Their children and grandchildren continue their legacy in the demon slayer village they rebuilt after marrying. It had been just him and Shippo for a long time. In that time, Inuyasha and Shippo had become family. Shippo was his brother and it was his job to protect him and teach him all he needed to know to survive in this world. While Shippo had been alive for longer than most humans by this point, he was not yet of age when it came to fox demon years. Even still he was no longer that little fox cub from when they first met. He stood only a foot shorter than Inuyasha now. His form, while slender, was strong. His clothes remained the same style as before, but now he also donned a sword on his hip. His ponytail styled hair reached just above his shoulders, and his fangs were visible now even with his mouth closed. While he was growing stronger and coming into his own, he still lacked the strength and skill to survive alone in the Northern lands that had been their home for the last several decades.