Chapter 4

True to his word, Sesshomaru did not return to the clearing for training the next day or any day after for three weeks. Their interactions were limited to council meetings, where Sesshomaru never lingered, or the occasional glimpse from across the castle grounds.

Regardless, Inuyasha had made some progress with Akari and Kensei, but Himari informed him that the training was insufficient. He needed to be training with an Inu Diayokai of significant power to help promote growth. Even still, Sesshomaru was unwavering in his opposition.

So Inuyasha had sent word to Koga that he needed his assistance, and requested he help train him. He wasn't a Inu yokai, but Wolf yokai were also among the strongest Daiyokai, and more importantly, he trusted Koga. Right now, what Inuyasha needed most was a friend. Sure, Koga got under his skin, but they had grown close over these last 75 years, and Koga owed him more than one favor. Within a week, Koga and a small group of his men made their way to the Inu Kingdom in the Western lands. As Koga was the Lord of his own kingdom, a formal royal welcome was prepared. This meant both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru would be in the same room and have to interact. It was an understatement to say the tension in the room was felt by everyone.

As he and his men entered the stone hall, Koga stood wide eyed when he saw Inuyasha for the first time. Himari spoke, "Lord Koga, on behalf of Lord Inuyasha and Sesshomaru, we welcome you to our kingdom and appreciate your friendship and support."

"Well the Inu clan answered our call and was an important ally in our conflict to the east 10 years ago. We are honored to return that allegiance."

Inuyasha had missed his friend more than he knew, "It's good to see you, Koga." They greeted each other by gripping each other's forearms as he spoke.

"Never thought I'd say this, but I miss the dog ears," Koga chuckled as he ruffled the hair where his dog ears had once been.

Sesshomaru's eyes widened with surprise at Koga's familiarity with Inuyasha. It was not his understanding that they were so close. It surprised him further when Inuyasha laughed in response, "Yeah, yeah whatever. You still look as mangy as ever." He playfully swiped at Koga in retort, "I could smell you before you entered the castle." Sesshomaru had never heard Inuyasha genuinely laugh before. He was so relaxed with Koga, which was also a demeanor Sesshomaru was unfamiliar with. He watched Koga wondering what about this wolf demon brought out this side of Inuyasha Sesshomaru knew nothing about.

"We obviously have a lot to catch up on. So tell me, why am I here?" Koga asked with clear interest.

"There will be time enough for that later my Lord, but first we have prepared a feast in your honor," Himari stated as she motioned for the servants to bring the food.

Inuyasha and Koga sat at the center of the head table along with Akari, two of Koga's generals, Himari, and another council member. Sesshomaru had placed himself at the far edge of the head table seemingly uninterested in the feast or anyone there. However, he was intently listening to Inuyasha and Koga's conversation and watching their interactions closely, using his peripheral vision. While Sesshomaru had interacted with Koga in the past, it was superficial at best, but he knew him to be respected among high level Daiyokai. He was a strong, capable leader who had elevated his clan in the Northern lands. This was why he had formed their alliance by sending Akari and his men to assist Koga in destroying the demon clan responsible for killing his mate, Ayame.

As he watched, Sesshomaru couldn't help but take notice of Inuyasha's comfortability with Koga, despite their constant barrage of verbal jabs and jokes aimed at one another. It was clear the two would be more than content to continue this banter late into the night. He realized then this was the first time since the transformation that Inuyasha seemed indifferent to Sesshomaru's presence, and yet Sesshomaru didn't feel relief. He should be pleased Koga had arrived, keeping Inuyasha occupied and a safe distance from him, but for some reason the more he watched Koga the more irritated he became.