Chapter 3

Inuyasha entered the clearing just to the east of the castle where Akari had told him training would begin. Akari was not waiting alone. He was with another yokai who had been one of the two who had accompanied Inuyasha when they had summoned him to the castle.

He appeared human in every way other than his red eyes and the two black ogre horns that curved about a foot above his forehead. His black hair fell to a point between his horns and framed around his face. His robes were a steel blue under his metallic chest plate with the same crest as Akari's. Unlike the rest of them, he had no katana on his hip; instead, he had two short swords strapped in the shape of an X on his back. The handles of each blade were visible above his shoulders.

As he approached, they both bowed, which Inuyasha knew he would never get used to. "You don't have to bow every time you see me," Inuyasha stated with exhaustion as it was not the first time he had reminded them.

"My Lord, I am Kensei, general of your eastern forces. Akari and I were asked by Lord Sesshomaru to assist in your training," the ogre yokai explained.

"And where is his highness?" Inuyasha asked, rolling his eyes at Sesshomaru's absence. Likely, his way of showing his superiority once again, by making him wait on him.

After a few awkward moments, Sesshomaru entered the clearing, stoic and expressionless as ever. Not greeting anyone, he simply ordered Inuyasha to remove his katana.

"Why?" Inuyasha questioned.

"To better connect with your inner yokai, you must draw strength internally and connect with your Inu instinct without relying on other weapons. Your katana will be a crutch that will hinder your connection to your yokai until you can learn to connect with it of your own will," Akari explained, knowing Sesshomaru was not planning to answer Inuyasha's questions.

"Fine." Inuyasha placed Tetsaiga against a nearby tree. As he walked away from it, he could feel his power begin to surge.

"Akari. Kensei. Face Inuyasha and emit the auras of your yokai."

Sesshomaru turned to Inuyasha knowing he would have more annoying questions. "Your yokai is sensitive to the auras of other yokai. Without your sword for protection, the threat of their auras should make the presence of your yokai more accessible. This will allow you to draw from its power. You must contain that power and keep it from overtaking you."

This was why Sesshomaru had enlisted the help of his generals; he could not risk releasing his own yokai aura for this training without a replay of yesterday's events. Sesshomaru feared that his control over his own inner yokai would be lost if he opened that door inside himself, so surrogates were necessary for this training. "Make sure to release only a small wave of your yokai aura at Inuyasha, otherwise he could lose control."

"Understood," the generals said in unison. As both yokai began emitting their aura, their eyes colored slightly with a pink hue. The auras hit Inuyasha like a wave and he felt a pressure building inside him. His head was throbbing again, and he fell to one knee.

"Your yokai is fighting for control. You need to push that power down and harness it!" Sesshomaru shouted. "Stand up!"

The pain was increasing, but Inuyasha forced himself to stand.

"Kensei! Attack!" Sesshomaru ordered. Kensei charged and attacked Inuyasha's chest with an open palm, sending him flying back into the tree where Tetsaiga rested. Inuyasha groaned as he collapsed at the base of the tree, his head still throbbing and his limbs heavy from the pressure in his body. He instinctively reached for his sword, but Sesshomaru's poison whip stung against Inuyasha's hand before he could reach it. "I said you may not use weapons," he spat. "Stop taking the easy way out and stand up and fight. Your weakness is sickening."