SECRETS

Things finally feel as though they're falling back into place. Allison returns, and I barely leave her side. She does everything she can to apologize for her actions, but she's was already forgiven. As it turns out, Dirk tells me that when Cesáreo returned to the loft, and Cade tells them what was going on, they left immediately.

But now I'm able to control the status for a small amount of time, without any burning sensations, or passing out, Aunt Patty decides to have all of us train like we did when we were kids. The next day is a perfect day to do just that, the sun beaming on the grass where the house stood, causing us all to sweat.

Darlene and Thea fought hand to hand, throwing in kicks and spins and knocking each other to the ground. Dirk and I face off against with Quill and Vincent, and we all immediately start exerting power right off the bat. Until Aunt Patty scolds us from the sidelines, as she and Allison supervised. 

Cade also observes, since Darlene says that his injuries will take at least a full day to heal. In between breaks, he and Dirk sit together on the grass, and seem very friendly right off the bat. While relaxing, Allison passes around cold water bottles with Aunt Patty. Taking mine from her, she smiles at me, and I smile back as she walks away.

When Dirk catches me looking at her, even as she walks away, he makes a suggestive gesture with his brows, and I avoid him trying hard not to blush. Although, Cesáreo has no problem ratting me out, making a heart shape in the air with his fingers, from under his massive cloak. He and Dirk start making fun of me. "Why don't we all jump into the lake?" Darlene whines. "It's such a good day and I'm sweating." 

"Can we?" Pipes Abigale, the first words she's spoken since we rescued her from the Rogues. Everyone looked at her, and laughs before Aunt Patty nods her head laughing also. "I can't say no to that, why not." Everyone excitedly gets up with shouts and fits of laughter. Darlene and Abigale drag Arthur to the dock, who tries his hardest to wiggle free, but against two she-wolves? It was hopeless. Darlene takes his hand, and leaps in with Arthur screaming behind her.

Dirk, Quill, and Vincent remove their shirts before following after them, and the twins do cannon balls. While Cesáreo and Cade walk beneath some shady trees. Creeping up on the edge of the dock, I peer in. The water distorting my reflection, and I feel my heart leaping into my throat. "C'mon!" Allison shouts behind me, unexpectedly grabbing my arm, running. "Let's go!" 

"Allison, wait!" I scream before falling in. I smack into the water, before immediately starting to drown. My arms reaching for the surface, but I grab nothing as I start to sink. I open my mouth to scream for help, but my lungs start to inhale water. 

The cold shoots into my body like a thousand little needles, stabbing me in the back, the lungs, and the heart. I can't breathe, water shoots into my mouth while my arms flail, trying to swim back up. I used to be able to swim, and was good at it. But something happened. Something bad. 

"Don't!" Dad yells, but the grip on the back of my shirt pretends to drop me, then catch me, as I dangle above the fast water rapids. Looking down, I notice the cinderblock tied around my ankle, and cling tightly to the man's wrist. "Dad! Help me!" I screech, kicking my feet.

But the fabric of my shirt tears, and I stay still. Petrified. The man looks over at me, chuckling. "Careful, little guy. Wouldn't want to lose my grip on you." Looking down again, the cinderblock is on the ground, while I'm suspended over it. But I felt the water lapping against the edge, soaking the bottom of my pants.

"He's just a boy!" I look back at the voice, and see Mom getting up from Uncle Leroy's injured side, and approach Dad. "He hasn't done anything to you!" The man throws his head back laughing. "Not yet he won't. I'm not a fool, Moira. I know how the family system works." He looks to me again, a sinister smile on his face. "I'm holding the future pack alpha before he becomes a man."