Chapter Six

One hour later, a happy but tired Sadie is back in the wagon, with our overnight bags piled precociously behind her. The purse and toiletry bag hanging from my shoulder bashes against my hips as I pull the wagon with Allyse, equally loaded, pushing from behind.

That sixth round of crushes took driving out of the equation.

"Thank God Ryan's house is only two streets over from yours," Allyse huffs, sweating like me. "I just want a cool shower and a warm bed. You did thank him for me, right?"

It was hard to say anything at all.

The second I heard Ryan's voice ... his soothing, compassionate voice, tears sprang to my eyes, and a softball-sized lump formed in my throat. He's always been such a good boss, understanding my need to take time off after the divorce, worrying about my well-being, and answering my call right away.

"Hey, Marcie, you at the beach?"

Don't cry, don't cry, you're a grown-ass woman, don't cry...

"Marcie, are you okay? Is everything alright?"

That's all it took.

The sob I'd been holding in came out in full force, my voice tight and choked in clipped syllables as I relayed to him the day's event. How Haven is trashed and abandoned. Allyse arriving instead of Nick. Our realized homelessness. "We tried to find a hotel room, Ryan, but nothing decent is available, and ... and ..."

I couldn't bring myself to ask to stay at his place. It was too much of an inconvenience.

"Marcie, it's all going to be okay. You both are more than welcome at my house. You should have called me right away!"

I closed my eyes and clutched my phone, relief flooding me. "I know ... I just didn't want to be a burden."

He let out a laugh, making me picture his dark eyes dancing with amusement. "Marcie, stop, you're not being a burden. I'm excited about you seeing the place, now that it's fixed up. So, please. Stay as long as you'd like. I'll text you the door lock code."

There was one more thing.

"And ... Sadie?"

Ryan chuckled, already aware of her health issues. "No worries, the hardwoods can handle a little accidental incontinence, okay?

A little accidental incontinence.

His words now make me chuckle as we haul Sadie past a run-down condominium unit where a group of tanned twenty-somethings stares down at our unlikely parade with amusement.

"What's so funny?" Allyse asks, her breath heavy as a duffel bag hits the pavement.

I stop and help her re-stack our haul, Sadie wagging her tongue with a happy smile. "This," I say, waving my hand in a grand sweep over us and laughing ... truly laughing, for the first time in a long time. "Fair winds, mermaids, and accidental incontinence."

I don't know why I'm laughing.

I just know that it feels good.

~~~

I've seen Ryan's bay-side townhouse before, back when Nick and I were first looking for a place to buy. It was larger than we wanted, but our real estate agent took us there on a whim in case we were interested in a 'handyman special'.

Handyman special was a severe understatement.

It was more like should be condemned, enter at your own risk.

The place was even worse than Haven is now, trashed beyond comprehension by a group of surfing brothers who were living free on their parents' dime, so it was a huge no thanks for us. But now as we turn on Shellfish Lane, I can see that Ryan has replaced the decrepit front porch with sandy beige PVC decking and white vinyl rails. Two blue chairs and a bright orange sign that reads JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE welcome us as I unlock the mint-green door and step inside, gasping at the difference.